Saturday, March 4, 2017

going deep on the front porch of space


This evening was spent in S.P.A.C.E.
You know, that place the city supplies on Henry Street for small cultural events?
There were two events there tonight, so I was making the most of my sole foray from my warm house into the evening chill.
The first event was completely free and was an art installation. "Deep: Stories of Savannah" consisted of a series of enlarged photographs taken by William Price Glaser.
I'm sure you're wondering if I know this photographer.
I do not.
However, I am quite fond of the local creative writing group he worked with, as well as one in Texas. I want to encourage all groups that want students to be well-versed in communication skills!
Mr. Glaser is currently a student at SCAD and the show contains the photographs he took last year of 12-to-18 year-old students who are enrolled in the Deep Center's advanced writing program, "Block By Block". Those young people are tasked "to research, document, and tell the past and present stories of their families, streets, and community through creative writing and art". William Glaser, in turn, documented those talented students through his photography.
He used an interesting approach. He had the person write their name on a chalkboard and then sit in a chair below their name or stand to the side. (Yep, it was an actual green slate chalkboard, not a whiteboard.) It's amazing how much of the student's personality was revealed in that simple setting. The exhibit was truly an excellent character study. (Check his website to see some of the display.)
The second event at S.P.A.C.E. was titled "Front Porch Improv" and supported by a local realtor. The Savannah improv Company is the actual improvisational comedy troupe, with the "Front Porch Improv" being one of their two monthly shows. (The other is mid-month and titled "Sorry Not Sorry".) SiC is a practitioner of long-form improv. What that boils down to is this: they take a single audience suggestion and proceed to perform a series of stream-of-consciousness skits with a revolving cast of characters. What that means is less audience participation.
That's considerably different from the short-form improv which is usually the basis of the skits performed regularly by Odd Lot and (it).
True, the Odd Lot folks have given us "Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog", their annual Christmas show, as well as their take on "The Wizard Of Oz".
True, (it) recently had the long-form improv "B.I.G. The Improv Musical", but that was an anomaly (which I hope will be repeated!).
I have found I prefer the short-form for my comedy.
I am glad that Styx (in concert at the Civic Center tonight) found a musical outlet here in this blackbox theatre! "Come Sail Away", played with fervent earnest on an air guitar, was first and it set the tone (all puns intended!). Then we were granted a romantic "Lady" before the staccato "Mr. Robot" finished up the night.
All in all, an interesting venture...
I'll have to give them another try to see if I can learn to like long-form.

No comments: