Saturday, January 28, 2017

princess of the ocean!


If not for the fact that I had bought my ticket already, I would have missed the show.
i thank God for that online purchase!
Today had been so brutally cold that I had stayed in my house all day.

All day?

Yes, all day.
But I resolved to not allow my ticket to go to waste...so I went.

To where, might I ask?

To the Space Station of Starlandia, new home of the Savannah Stage Company.

For what, pray tell?

For (it)'s B.I.G. The Improv Musical!

Say again?

This was Savannah Stage Company's first show of this season and they had given the reins to (it), their improvisational troupe, to ride it out to any destination the audience helped choose for the four shows this weekend.
I had originally hoped to see all four, as each would be different and I love the musicals...but money has been tight and I won't get paid for teaching until the end of February.
Hence the reason for my throwing myself out of my warm house into the cold night.
I had already bought the ticket, so I had to go.
Again, i thank God for that!
I had such fun tonight!
And, as coincidence would have it, this was the only ocean-themed musical they did.

How very fortunate for you and your love of the sea!

Indeed. Incredibly fortunate.

So, what's with the B.I.G. moniker?

That's the theme for this season's shows.

Bravery.

Imagination.

Growth.

High aspirations, but these nine thespians
were up for the challenge!
With Jayme Tinti and Wesley Pridgen
to lead the charge,
they could go anywhere without fear...
and they did!

But first, to chart their course,
with the audience's suggestions!
The lead character?
Lucinda!
Her dream?
To become the
Princess of the Ocean!
What song genres?
Musical theatre - lullaby -
salsa - bluegrass - hiphop -
soul R&B - Disney - gospel -
spoken word - blues...
and performed in that order, too!
What a challenge!!!

Why the emphasis on the Disney style?

Well, those genres were all on slips of paper in a bucket.
Jayme chose me to draw the lucky seventh slip... and "Disney" was what I pulled! Coincidence???
Let me tell you, I was most definitely in the right place at the right time.

That's such a blessing! And what was the show about?

I thought you would never ask!
(smile!)
Lucinda is an avid swimmer living in Utah with her mom (Karen) and her badminton-playing younger brother (Derek). He gets to go to the badminton playoffs on the North Carolina shores, so they all go.
But they left behind George, Derek's buddy, who had thought Lucinda would be attending the Utah Jazz Dance with him on that same night.
Meanwhile, in NC, Lucinda is swimming in the ocean when a riptide drags her away from shore! No worries, though, as she was a great swimmer.
Bill, the King of the Ocean, challenges her to a swim-off, promising she will receive mermaid fins and the title of Princess of the Ocean, if she wins.
And she does, of course!
True to his word, he gives her fins and calls her Princess... and puts her in charge of his wienie son, Octavius. Yikes!
Her mom, fearing her daughter is lost in the ocean, sends Derek out to find her. Derek is attached to the line of an old fisherman, so Derek won't get lost, too.
Derek locates his sister and they flee the King and successfully return to shore, with the old fisherman's help, of course.
But Bill the King is right behind them!
Then, he sees Karen...and recognizes her as his long-lost love!
News flash: Lucinda is such a great swimmer because Bill is her dad!!!
Family reunion time!!!
So, Lucinda retains her status as Princess of the Ocean, regains her land legs, and...still makes it to the Utah Jazz Dance with George, her true love!
THE END!

Wow! That was amazing!!! And it was a musical?

Yep! Ocean and love story and long-lost family and singing!
So amazing!!!
Hallelujah!
I wonder if there's a dvd available?
(smile)
I would certainly buy it...once I get paid, of course.
(smile!)

No comments: