Friday, November 10, 2017

craving brains, with a side of humor



When I stopped watching, they were clutched together, kissing in a way that always means the bed is next.

"Say what? Having a bit of a go as a voyeur?"

No, not me, but I think the mortician qualifies as one.

"The who do what?"

Ravi, the lead Medical Examiner for the city. His British raj demeanour surely cloaks a voyeur, though he passes it off as scientific curiosity. Otherwise, why would he have watched her working beside him for several months before he acknowledged her malady, milady?

"He did what?? Tell me this is a tv show. Please."

Oh, it most assuredly is on television. Well, actually, I'm watching it courtesy of the bfe's netflix account...

"You're talking about "iZombie", aren't you?"

Ding, ding, ding! Folks, we have a winner!
(smile)
For the record, though, the show is titled "iZOMBiE".

"Ha ha ha."

Yeah, I'm a hoot! Just ask my owl!

(smile) "So, tell me: how many episodes have you seen now?"

Well, I've seen all of Season 1, and am up through Episode 4 of Season 2. So... that makes seventeen total, with me having a binge of seven episodes during the last two days.

"Oh... my... God..."

I tend to agree. I have no idea how many more I would have voraciously consumed had not Liv ended up in a fierce embrace with Major. All I could think was... well, you know.

"No, 'fraid not. I've been busy with other things. Sorry."

(Exasperatedly) Her body knows his body and his body knows her body, right?

"I have no idea what..."

Okay, listen up, buttercup. Liv and Major were engaged in the first episode. Then she went to a boat party and got turned into a zombie and broke off the engagement, no explanation to him, though she was clearly a changed woman.
Now, it's a year later. She turned him into a zombie to 'save' his life, but he objected to being made a brain-eater so she gave him a cure dosage that she was saving for herself.
They've been a bit distant ever since. In the intervening time, he's become a zombie killer for the company that makes Max Rager, an energy drink that has a nasty side effect of - surprise - causing folks to go berserk and kill others.
(It's an inside joke. Look at the name of the drink again.)
To cope with his new job, Major has become a drug addict on Utopian. Just before showing up that night on her doorstep, he'd scored some "U"... but it wasn't just some dealer who gave it to him. It was one of the kids he had once helped get off drugs at the teen halfway house where he was a counselor.
Ouch.

"Whoa. Pretty harsh, dudette. I can see why he went to her seeking solace."

Indeed. He had greeted her with the plea, "I need help." How could she, a once rising young doctor, as well as his former lady love, turn him away?
So.
I have turned off the tv and will soon go to bed.
A bit of distance is needed for me to process these episodes from today's haul.
I must say, though - I sure do enjoy this show. Much as I had used "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" for post-divorce therapy, this series is a working to give me space to heal again.
Here's another thing - there's quite a similarity to "Quantum Leap", a how I had loved, as well as "Strange Luck" and "Early Edition". Seriously, "iZOMBiE" is much like "Quantum Leap", with brains in lieu of a Project Accelerator (aka 'time machine').

"Seriously."

Yes. As we know from "Warm Bodies", a zombie gets access to a person's memories (R called them 'dreams') while munching on their brains. The brains that Liv has access to are those that have ended up in a morgue. So, when she eats them, she can have 'visions' that help Detective Babineaux find their killers.
As a side effect of brain consumption, Liv develops the habits and talents of the dead folks. One day she's a country singer "Even Cowgirls Get The Black And Blues"). Another, she's a bigoted old coot (Grumpy Old Liv"). Then she got all motherly ("Maternity Liv") after being an oversexed painter ("Brother, Can You Spare A Brain?").
I really do enjoy all the puns, too.
Oh, and the graphic-novel styling of the breaks in each episode.
Believe me, I will go back to my viewings... I'm just taking a little break.
I'm not quite well yet, ya know.
(smile)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Whew!
I finally gathered my courage and viewed Episode 5 of Season 2 and am so glad I did! I tell you, Liv still has a good head on her shoulders... even if she does have zombie brains, she knew to back off and make Major cool his jets so he wouldn't be rezombified by her kisses - or anything else. Let's hope Ravi soon finds the Cure. Oops! Inside joke, since they played "Friday, I'm In Love" while Ravi and Blaine scrambled to grab the zombie-killer drug that Ravi had mixed up to make rat zombies.
Too much? Not enough, I say!
(smile)