Sunday, November 5, 2017

all saints sunday


I usually avoid this service at Asbury Memorial United Methodist Church.
Honestly, I cannot think of the last time I came for this occasion.
But I was there this morning.
I had even visited Tony at the Transitional Center beforehand, being sure to inform him that church was very important for me today. I even watched the clock, leaving right after 10:30 AM. (That means we only had an hourlong visit, but it was so nice and relaxed - very good for both of us! Such a different environment there - i thank You, God!)

So, why was it so very important for me to attend church today?
Was it for the BIG Coffee Hour, with its socializing and bountiful lunch?
No, although I must admit to enjoying that post-service treat.
Was it for the ritual of Communion and its sharing of faith?
Well, not really, even though that was particularly satisfying today.
Perhaps it was to welcome the new members to this congregation?
Honestly, I had not really noticed that was on the agenda.

I was there to publicly acknowledge to my church family the losses I've had this year.
To make sure I did so, I sat in the very first row, by the piano and the choir.
I owe many thanks to Rev. Billy Hester for intuiting why I was there. After all, he knew of my niece's death in April, no doubt because John and my niece Molly were there for her, too. He no doubt noticed that I had no flowers and encouraged me to select some from the table in the narthex.
And so I did... for her and for my five friends and extended family who have died in 2017.


For my niece, Jean Marie Morgan, the spray of yellow baby chrysanthemums.
For my dear karaoke "mom", Jerry Wiley, the delicate iris.
For my outlaw Grandma Beauty, Terrie Rondeau, the bold and rich purple zinnias.
For my laundress' husband, Reed Deschenes, the quartet of new green mums.
For my first niece's Grandpa, David Johnson, the matching spray right next to it.
For my friend from my youth, Eric Newton, the foursome of dark red zinnias.


I feel better now.
Saying their names aloud and submitting the flowers for inclusion into vases to brighten others' lives felt like one of the most right things I could have done to honor them.
Jean Marie's can be heard here, at time stamp 11:40.
The names of my other family and friends can be heard here, at time stamp 2:44.
That was definitely the right place, at the right time.
i thank You, God.

Soon, I will meet up with Carolyn for "LBJ".
Friday night, she and I had dined at Sweet Potatoes, then ventured over to Spotlight Cinema for "A Bad Moms Christmas". We had both been a bit trepidacious about the movie, but let me tell you: we loved it! We laughed and laughed and I even shed a few tears. She and I both had fabulous, loving mothers, but we have known so many girlfriends with such bad relationships with their moms. In other words, this movie rang true.
Actually, if I had realized it was an H.Brothers productions, I would have known it would be good. I'll be sure to watch more of the films vouchsafed by this Korean company.
Now, I have another film to see with Carolyn.
What a lovely way to spend this afternoon!

1 comment:

faustina said...

I felt so strongly about "A Bad Moms Christmas" that I wrote a review on imdb.com. So many folks don't seem to like it, but apparently it has been a big hit with the military women and wives.
Here's my thoughts:

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur63074232/