Wednesday, November 1, 2017

hooray for the Astros!!!



I don't usually pay much attention to the World Series.
Odd, right? Since I'm such a baseball fan?
But I don't care for televised games. They don't show enough of the field for you to really feel that you are there.
Plus, the announcers simply will not shut up.

This year was different.
Perhaps my interest was sparked by Mister Willie.
He was in the hospital, yet again for his heart and this time also his right foot.
I had called to see how he was and he proceeded to talk about his plan to watch the game that night, at least as long as he could.
So, after my evening's plans were done, I tuned in, too.
My intention was to have that as our topic of conversation the next day.

Instead, I found myself drawn in by the trust between a pitcher and a catcher.
After the game, the Astros' pitcher, Brad Peacock, seemed a bit stunned by their win. As he was being interviewed he said he simply placed his faith in his catcher, Brian McCann, and didn't wave off his call even once.
That was Game 3, on Friday, October 27th.

When I called Willie the next day, I found he was home again.
Hooray! We talked a little about the game, but he had folks over so we cut it short.
I watched the first few innings of Game 4 that Saturday night, but it was a scoreless pitchers' duel when I left to see "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" one last time at the cinema.
From the score, it looked to have gotten exciting that final inning!

Sunday, I had the tv on as soon as I was home from seeing "Nightmare Before Christmas". Game 5 was already well underway and into the bottom half of the fifth inning. The game was tied by the end of the inning! Then came another tie! And after a series of back and forths with the score, and after ten innings of play, and after more than five hours on the field, the Houston Astros came out on top, 13 to 12.
During the post-game interview, the young man said they had been concerned when the Los Angeles Dodgers had scored those three runs in the top of the fifth... but then George Springer had said they should "just play loose" and so that's what they did. Might as well follow the advice of the man who hit three home runs in that game!
What a game! How wonderful for the Houston crowd at the stadium for the home game!
Well worth being up until 1:30 that Monday morning!

Halloween night, I managed to be home to catch the last few innings of Game 6. Honestly, I had hoped the Astros would finish it off, but that's okay. It was a really tight game, with strong pitching on both sides.

Tonight, I had known I would miss much of the game. On Wednesdays, not only do I have an evening lecture, but also a lab that follows it. Nonetheless, I was home in time for the Top of the 4th inning of Game 7.
Wow, the Astros were Houston Strong with five runs!
The Dodgers had none. I actually found myself wanting the Los Angeles team to at least score one run in their home stadium.
They did two innings later.
No more runs were scored by either team in the final three innings.
What a game!

And that's why I have a baseball diamond in my front yard.
(smile)

No comments: