Saturday, November 4, 2017

elvis needs boats, elvis needs boats


Not really, but that silly song that proclaimed "Elvis Is Everywhere" popped into my head, so go ahead, go take a listen.
I'll be right here when you return - I will!
*
*
*
Now, let me tell you the truth of the matter.
Elvis needed water today and I was right there to give it to him - I was!


See, I told you so!
(smile)
Gotcha!
This is me with Reverend Billy Hester, at the church at the intersection of E. Henry Street and Waters Avenue. This was taken just after his stint as The King in last Sunday's production of "Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat". I truly love his God on Broadway sermons and that one, on reconciliation, was truly a sign that I was at the right place, at the right time.
i thank You, God!


But that is not the Elvis of which I speak.
Today, during the seventh year of the Rock'n'Roll Marathon Series in Savannah, two variations of Elvis Presley ran past the intersection of E. Henry Street and Waters Avenue. I was part of the Mile 10 Water Station tasked with slaking the thirst of the many runners as they proceeded on their quest.


Now, then, most of these folks were not Asburians, like me. In fact, there may have been eight of us, total. Maybe.
But Miss Virginia was one of them! I worked right beside her most of the time, too!


We were far from alone, though.
A Boy Scout troop was ride alongside!
The Future Business Leaders of America group at one of the schools helped out, too!
There were some other students from another school group, but there was one child that stood out.
Steven Cowart, middle school student now, son of my friend Susan.
When she'd returned to Okinawa and needed help, she asked me to come along. None of her family wanted the free trip, but she knew I had loved being on that island. My trip was free in return for my tending her youngest, Steven, while she handled the three-year-old.
And here my 'little bird' was, looking almost grown.
Of course I introduced myself to him!
This photo has the 95-years-young Virginia surrounded by all the children.
The child I cooed whale song to is the redhead in the back row, on the right.
(smile)


I'm sure you wondered how we kept our energy up, right?
After all, our shift began at 6:15 AM - the sun wasn't even up yet.
We were graced with a rock and roll band that were soooo good!
Everchange not only played a wide mix of songs, but they played a lot of songs I knew!
I was singing and dancing and moving the cups in my hands to the tunes!
Thanks, y'all!


A little more than five hours later, the last runners of the marathon and half-marathon had passed us by, with many of them taking the little paper cups of water from our hands.
Many of them thanked us for volunteering, too.
That was very nice!
The "Race Crew" T-shirt, cap, and tote bag were nice, too!


Now, if you'll pardon me, I'm taking a nap.
I had a nice lunch at Jalapenos with Kevin - he'd run the half-marathon, but we somehow missed seeing each other. He insisted that he had spoken with both of the Elvis runners and told them about me. For real!
(smile)
That's been the first time we've seen each other since I got weird.
Nice to have that in the past.
Did we talk about that?
No, of course not.
He talked about his retirement investments and eBay sales.
I talked about watching "iZombie" on the bfe's netflix account and the correlations to "Warm Bodies" and to "Buffy The Vampire Slayer". I told him I'd seen "Frankenweenie" and was wanting to watch "ParaNorman", but On Demand had already pulled it. Netflix didn't have it, but they did have "iZombie", of which I'd seen an episode or two, but didn't know anything about it. So far, I've watched five episodes, I told him, and really like it!
(I think he was incredulous that I liked those two television series. He had this look of amusement on his face!)
We also talked a little about Tony and his new move to the Transition Center, at last.
All in all, very satisfying visit... and a 'budget-cut hug' afterward.
Very satisfying.
i thank You, God.

3 comments:

Rev Hester said...

Thank you so much...
I will forward to some of our Asburians.

Billy

Claudette of Asbury said...

Tina,

I was thinking on the way to church this morning we did not get any pictures. This is great!

Thanks so much,

Claudette

faustina said...

How very nice!
I had forwarded the two photos of Miss Virginia, as well as two others, to the church office yesterday.
How lovely to have these two responses!