Thursday, November 30, 2017

pioneer


How often does that word show up in conversation?

"Which word would that be?"

The title word for this post, silly. Or did you not even read the title?

"Oh, you mean 'pioneer'? Honestly, I can't recall the last time I heard it said."

Me, neither. And yet, tonight I heard it spoken at least twice! Which can only mean one thing - he actually read my curriculum vitae.

"Who did?"

My boss man, the Chem & Phys department head.

"You're kidding?! I thought he regarded you as some marginalized person to be tolerated because you taught the night class and no one else wanted to do that."

Sho' 'nuff. That's the impression he's given me for at least the last decade.

"So why were you and he together this evening? What's that all about?"

Well, remember that I went to the chemistry nerds event in October? This was the ACS' chemistry nerd trivia night at the Moon River. Woohoo! It was centered on the Periodic Table, but the questions were pretty difficult. We all knew we were in trouble when we were given blank forms and told to fill them in. Yikes!

"But if you're all chemistry nerds, then you should have that memorized already!"

No, no, no. The Periodic Table is a tool and the focus is being able to use it. No one should EVER be forced to memorize such a device. I think forcing such memorization is a sign of a teacher who is ill-informed about the device's usefulness as the best cheat sheet in the world. Students do need to memorize what the names of the elements are, to match chemical symbols. However, that's no different from memorizing the alphabet when learning a new language, n'est-ce pas?

"Absolutely! That said... how many did you correctly place?"

Only thirty-three. But the most that were correct was 75... and none of those were lanthanides and actinides. LOL!

"Yes, dear, but you have digressed off topic, as usual."

And that topic, as you see it?

"Why did 'pioneer' come to be part of chem nerd trivia?"

Oh, that. Okay, here is the passage from my CV.
*****
ARMSTRONG STATE UNIVERSITY, SAVANNAH, GA
Adjunct Instructor, 09/1993 to Present
Taught Chemistry survey courses (CHEM1151, CHEM1151) and associated lab courses. Coordinated lecture and lab schedules to enhance learning. Designed and coordinated online homework assignments with lecture for maximum student benefit. In 1995, PIONEERED the teaching of chemistry in the long-distance learning program. Temporary Full-time Instructor from 2010 to 2013.
*****
I've capitalized the word of interest, as well as highlighted it, for your ease of locating it in the passage.

"Okay, got it."

Here is the point I was making. Last week, all of the faculty in our department had to submit updated CV's (i.e., resumes for teachers) to Dr. Lynch, for him to submit to those in charge of the consolidation efforts. Amazingly, even the CV's of part-time (adjunct) faculty were to be included. In accordance, I sent mine in... and he read it. Amazingly, he even saw fit to make sure I knew that he had read it, by using a word that I would be willing to bet is unique to my CV.

"Yeah, I think you're pretty safe with that bet. I doubt any chemistry professor has ever used that description before."

It truly is pretty nifty, as well as an apt descriptor of what I did: I went before, preparing the way for others to follow.

"And did anyone do so?"

Sadly, not in the Chem & Phys department. We do offer some online courses, but those are few. No one, however, has ever duplicated what I have done by teaching in front of two classes simultaneously, one in person and one via video, taking care to divide my 'live' time between both classes. That meant traveling down to Brunswick several times, but it certainly kept the students involved!

"Good for you! And now you're leading the way with your invention, too, aren't you?"

I certainly am. I do hope my Periodic Table will be available for the fall classes!
I truly do.

3 comments:

Brant of OR said...

Brant Dixon
December 1 at 6:52am

Nerd trivia night is a thing? :-)

Sam the bff said...

Sandra Voelker
December 1 at 5:08am

That sounds so cool!

faustina said...

My first niece is science-nerdy like me, especially when it comes to the ocean.
She texted me this morning to say she had sent a news item about octopuses to my fb page.
Sure enough, she did!
And what an article it was, too, about science PIONEERS studying octopus DNA and genealogy to determine something about Earth's geology.
For real!!!
And that magic word - PIONEER - was used in the article.
Very nice!

https://www.aol.com/octopus-dna-may-hold-clue-190025141.html