Wednesday, November 15, 2017

sally and the gender-neutrals



This semester, I started doing something differently with my word problems in lecture.
Instead of general wording with no people involved, I added characters.
For example, here is the way the problems once appeared.
"A bicycle was ridden at 17 miles per hour for 88.3 minutes.
How far, in kilometers, did the bike travel?"
This time around, there was a cyclist.
"Sally rode her bicycle for 88.3 minutes, traveling at 17 miles per hour.
How far did Sally pedal?"
My students at Armstrong came to refer to her as Sally Chemistry.
(smile)


Sally became my assistant in lectures after Hurricane Irma.
A bit of levity was needed, as well as a more personal approach to problem-solving.
She wasn't the only one helping out, not at all.
Sometimes Joe or Jimmy or Tim came forth.
Those were all names which didn't match any of my students...
safe names for characters who needed a bit of help solving word problems.
I may have mentioned, perhaps once, that the name Sally was special to me, as she was my favorite character - my hero - in "Nightmare Before Christmas". Why? Because she is always willing to lend a hand... or an arm... or a leg.
(smile!)


For the past few weeks, I've added some new names.
We've been studying solutions: concentrations, solubility, acids, bases, salts.
Perhaps the fluid nature of the material lent itself toward gender-neutral characters.
(Get it? It can be our inside joke!)
Kelly, Stacy, Kim, Tracy... all had a chance to help out in lecture.
Of course, Pat did, too.
But I know my favorite - and the class's pet - is still Sally.
I'm going to miss that gal when the semester ends in two weeks.
Maybe she'll come along for labs in Chem1152.
I know the students will enjoy seeing her again, as will I.
(smile)

No comments: