Tuesday, November 5, 2019

from the aquarium to the Ocean

My BFF had once told me that being in my bedroom felt like she was in an aquarium.
I thought that was a lovely analogy!
The Aged Mint walls and the filmy teal-aqua curtains certainly did give that sensation.
Now, I'm in transition from my aquarium to my Ocean Room.

Leila and Alyssa will be swimming in my big room at the end of the hall on Friday.
Their two bookshelves, chest of drawers, and toy box arrived last Friday, and are already waiting for them.
Time for me to get moving!
After the "Dracula" matinee at the Savannah Children's Theatre, I spent an hour looking at carpet in the nearby Home Depot.
(The Ocean Room's flooring was a bleached cat-wreck.)
Not finding something affordable and colorful, I was leaving when I espied the sign: "Rugs".
Hallelujah!!!
Hanging before me was the absolutely perfect rug!!!
I went home to check the room.
Would a 10 foot by 7 foot work?
Where was my Sunwashed Blue paint chip?
Could Tony help fetch it home for me?
Yes! There it was! And, yes, with Laura, too!
I unrolled it upside-down and let it relax from Sunday night until noon today.
In the meantime, I used yesterday to clear out part of the guest bedroom.
Gone is the changing table acquired from Angela before her move years ago!
Gone is the dining chair from Panama, with Toffee's teeth marks still on one of its rungs!
There they are, out by the curb, along with the white table that had been my girlhood dressing table.
Thirty minutes later, the table and chair went to another little blonde girl!
What sweet serendipity!
Today, the mom returned for the changing table for a pregnant friend!
So what remained in the Ocean Room?
My new rug, that's what!
The bookcase was in the hall and the filing cabinet was moved to the living room closet.
I'm glad I had worked to clean that three weeks ago!
Cleaning is what I did today, too, vacuuming the back of the rug, vacuuming the exposed carpet, using the round tool for all of it - my poor back!
Then, I started flipping the rug, using the same technique I had seen used so often for the heavy tarp at the baseball diamond.
Fold it over, slide it over to one side, then grab the top edge and pull it to open it up and flip it over.
Of course, I then had to vacuum that beige carpet again, too, after the slide.
Now, I'm sure no more orange fluff is around!
Time to let the new rug relax again... but not me!
Inspired, I decided to go ahead and move my chest of drawers into the room.
First, remove the five drawers...
get the chest onto old carpet to slide down the hall...
"walk" the chest, pivoting on this corner, then that...
with one final oomphf to set it in place.
Next, of course, was to grab each drawer and deliver them to their new resting place.
Five trips down the hall, watching door jambs...
taking care to not scratch up the walls...
trying to not dump out any of the contents...
sliding each drawer into the right slot...
making a note to not place the bed too close, so I'll be able to use the drawers in the future.
(smile)


I am truly getting excited about waking up in my Ocean Room!
And guess what the name of the color is for this beautiful Belgian rug?
"Ocean Ombre Blue"
It's as if it was made just for me, just for this room...
to reassure me that all would be well...
as I have felt it would be since the day I made the offer to Michael,
spurred on by two copper pennies at Lake Mayer...
unearthed by the hands of two beloved great-nieces.
i thank You, God.

No comments: