Sunday, November 12, 2017

such a wonderful life!



Even if I had been blind, the performances of the five people would have more than brought the story home.
That was the whole point of this particular production, in fact.
"It's A Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play" was quintessential storytelling, the very heart and soul of the Savannah Stage Company, distilled into its essence for this final "Season of Values" showstopper.
I am so blessed to have been there!
I found myself closing my eyes throughout much of the story, letting the characters do the talking instead of the actors.
Of course, I know this one by heart, as it is a Christmas favorite.
No... it is a Christmas necessity.
And, at the end of today's show, I was in full-tilt tears, as is always the case with me and this story.
As I told Wesley Pridgen, in the director's chair for the very first time, he "did it right".
(smile)
So did the cast of five, bringing into existence a town's worth of characters.
Yes, indeed, it was a stellar broadcast for WBFR in tiny Bedford Falls!
There were even two singing commercials - you know how I enjoy those!
(smile)
The five on stage for the entirety of this two-act play were Bryan Pridgen, Ashley Cook, Christian I. Noble, McKenna Lyons, and Nathan Houseman. Between them, the five radio actors they inhabited breathed into existence George and Mary Bailey and their four children, Uncle Billy, George's dad and George's mom and George's kid brother, Mary's mom, the pharmacist, the cab driver, the cop, the saloon owner and the bartender, the plastics investor, and the town flirt. Oh, and also God, as well as that Angel 2nd Class, Clarence, with his tattered Mark Twain book.
Wow.
Afterward, we were off to the announcement party for the 2018 season. Can you believe there was sushi?! I very much enjoyed that!
At the silent auction, I made sure to start the bidding on several items, not really thinking I might win any of them... but I did!
When all was said and done, I walked off with a virtual Golden Ticket for all productions in their 2018 "Fall In Love Again" season!!! How about that??? What a fabulous gift for me!
What plays will they have?
Well, they'll be performing "(it)'s B.I.G. The Improv Musical" for some comedy showcase. I'll definitely be there for that! I hope it will have several days of running, as I would love to see the variations. This year, I only managed to catch one of the four shows... but it was certainly tailor-made for an ocean-lover like me!
i thank You, God!
The other three plays for this upcoming year are: "The Red Badge of Courage", dedicated to military folks, past and present; "Tuck Everlasting", dedicated to the many seniors they perform to in retirement communities; and "Cabaret", dedicated to all lovers in tumultuous times.
It's going to be an interesting new year, folks - glad I'll be along for the ride!
My thanks for the Savannah Stage Company - i continue to be so very proud of y'all!
i thank You, God, for bringing them into my life.
(smile)

No comments: