Sunday, October 15, 2017

and tomorrow is another day


Hey Tony!
Guess what I did on Friday? I walked all the way around Daffin Park. That's 1.5 miles! The course was originally set for cutting through the park, but most of us walked from the center to Waters, south to Washington, east to Bee, north on that to Victory, then west back to Waters before cutting back to the stage for the event. Whew!
Also, as I had parked behind Grayson Stadium and the fundraiser met in the middle of the park, I figure I walked close to an extra mile from my car to the site and then back to my car.


What was I doing? It was the annual Leukemia and Lymphoma "Light The Night" Walk. In years past, it's been held at Forsyth Park, with folks walking down Bull Street and a few of the squares. I guess they figured this would be less dangerous, as we don't walk in front of any cars. Hooray!


I haven't been part of the walk for three years. In 2014, I had been in charge of the team for the College of Science and Technology (CST) at Armstrong. I called the team Cheering Scientists Toward a Cure, the name I had come up with in my first walk in 2011. (Get it? CST?) Anywho, no one at CST donated a single cent, so I didn't receive a T-shirt for the walk. No worries - I just made my own! I wore it again for this walk, as I had only signed up on Friday morning and had not raised the $100 for the event shirt. And guess what? At the end of the walk, they GAVE me a t-shirt anyway! Nice!


I've attached a photo so you can see my handiwork. I tell you, I had a woman come up to me and THANK ME for the slogan on my shirt. She had brain cancer several years ago. I had some other folks take photos of the back of my shirt, too, while I was dancing. Dancing to what? Dancing to the live band they had! Really good mix of tunes, too, ranging from Glen Campbell's 'Gentle On My Mind' to John Denver's 'Country Roads' and Rod Stewart's 'First Cut Is The Deepest'.With those songs, you'd think they would be old, but I don't any of the foursome was even thirty yet. They are called Lyn Avenue and I'll be keeping on eye on them for sure!


Why did I go on that walk? Well, it's one of the very few that are held in the evening. Most of the 5K runs and walks start at 7:30 in the morning - on a SATURDAY! No way am I doing that! The 'Light The Night' Walk begins about 7:30 PM - that's more like it!
I also went on the walk in memory of Eric Newton. I had told you he was in the hospital, right? Well, he died on Wednesday night. I still haven't heard anything about when his funeral will be. I guess Patti is still trying to finalize the details on that. I really feel for her; her second husband, Glenn, died just two weeks ago, of cancer.


I have another walk on Saturday. It's the 'Glow The Mall Pink 5K' to raise money for breast cancer research. I went on it for the first time last year - I'm sure I must have written about it, since I won a medal for my age group! (smile!) It begins at midnight and goes around Oglethorpe Mall.
I'll be going to a pumpkin-carving party before it, just as I did last year.
It's almost 11 PM, so I'll wrap this up.
love you, Tony!

No comments: