Thursday, October 26, 2017

missing my bfp


There he was, trotting out Wolverine in our texting back and forth.
He knows I'm a sucker for that superhero.
I think he does it to let me know he listens to me... and cares.
That means a lot.

I had contacted him yesterday afternoon.
I felt the need to let him know that I knew we had missed Tuesday.
I felt the need to let him know that I had missed him... and hoped he had missed me, too.
I felt the need to make contact.
He had called - or so I thought - and I had called him back, getting his mailbox message.
No way to leave a message, though, as the message said the mailbox could not receive.
I had texted, instead.
I told him that I missed seeing him and talking with him.
I told him I had seen "Victoria and Abdul" with Barbara on Tuesday afternoon and their friendship reminded me of our friendship that we have had for the last two years - or was it longer?
I told him I hoped we might have lunch or dinner sometime soon.

When he responded some time later, he first apologized for the accidental phone call and then for not taking my call, as he was being tutored at the time.
He took care to thank me for being courageous enough to bare my soul to him. (I paraphrase. Suffice it to say that my honesty was appreciated and applauded.)
Last, he begged off from contact for a while, due to time constraints with his studies and his upcoming half-marathon.

I apologized for making things weird.
Again.
We ended our texting session with him questing for compliments on his "rugged good looks... like a lumberjack. Nay, like Wolverine."
Not quite, I told him. "You need sideburns... and retractable claws."

So, a little humor to smooth rough edges.
I hope there will be more to lighten the days ahead.
Meanwhile, I'll keep my Tuesdays locked up with other activities.
That will be best for both of us.


1 comment:

faustina said...

I have rechristened him as my bfrb: best friend running bear.
It's also a play on the shorthand of gamers for "be right back", which is a nice element of humor.
I think Kevin will approve when I let him know about my designation for him...
one of these days...
maybe.
(smile)