Wednesday, October 18, 2017

thankful on a lab night


I needed this easy lab and so did my students.
We were using the spectrophotometers to measure the absorbances of some copper (II) nitrate solutions.
In other words, we were gathering data for a Beer's Law graph.
The lab also incorporated an introduction to dilution and to concentration.
I proffered this experiment as primarily an opportunity to learn a new technique.
After all, we would not be learning about solution chemistry for another two weeks.

Did they enjoy the experience?
Yes, they most certainly did, as did I.
No stressing over concepts not yet reached in lecture.
No stressing about how to calibrate the equipment (I had written explicit directions).
Overall, a much-needed mood of levity prevailed.

On my way home, driving under the star-strewn sky above Veterans Parkway, a song came into my head.
No, it was not from the radio, nor from a CD.
I don't have any Petula Clark and neither do the local stations...
but the radio in my head does, as it has since I was a girl listening to Mama's albums.
The melody was familiar - "Downtown" - but the words had changed.

"Forget all your troubles
Forget all your cares
and teach
CHEMISTRY
you're gonna be alright
CHEMISTRY
Monday and Wednesday nights
CHEMISTRY
you're gonna be alright
now.

CHEMISTRY
(sound of hood blowing in background)
CHEMISTRY
(sounds of test tubes clinking)
CHEMISTRY
(sounds of magnetic stirrers whirring)"


Pretty catchy, isn't it?
(smile)

i thank You, God.

No comments: