Monday, October 2, 2017

free falling forever



Tom Petty took off "Into The Great Wide Open" a few moments ago, "Learning To Fly" as he was "Free Fallin'" into forever.
He was just two weeks from his 67th birthday.
i thank You, God, that i had his music in my life.

The physicist and I were talking about Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers earlier this evening as we dined.
Apparently, his sister - who is in her mid-30's - had been posting about the loss all day.
I told the physicist about the all-day concert I'd gone to in 1983, while stationed at Imperial Beach. Tom Petty had been the headliner of the six-band event, held in the Padres stadium. What a glorious day it had been! So much music! So much sunshine! So much dancing and singing along!
After all, he and his band had been on the scene better than seven years by that time. They had just released their fifth album.
I had been singing their songs since my senior year of high school, starting with "American Girl". After that, it was "I Need To Know", "Listen To Her Heart", "Refugee", "Here Comes My Girl", and "Don't Do Me Like That", while in Panama at Galeta Island. When I PCS'ed to Hanza in Okinawa, Tom Petty and his boys went with me, as did "The Waiting", "A Woman In Love", "You Got Lucky", and "Change of Heart".
Not that I ever had a change of heart with them.
By the time I saw them in California, they had ten radio hits for regaling a crowd - and that was exactly what they did.
Nothing like dancing to good music while fireworks lit the sky!
Good memories...
i thank You, God.

No comments: