Tuesday, October 10, 2017

ten and two


"Is it the sum of the two numbers?"

Um... no.

"Are you referring to the date of last Monday?"

Nope! Not even close!

"Oh! I know! Those are the numbers of the two original teeth that someone still has!"

Hahahahaha! Now, THAT is quite funny! Sandra Lynn, as a dental hygienist, would like that.
But you're still incorrect.

"Oh, I have it now! Those will be the ages, in 2019, of the two children Christina now has."

That may well be true, if Junior is eight now.
But that answer is still not the one sought.

"So... not a sum... not a date... not teeth... not ages... could I have a hint?"

Okay, okay. I'll give you one hint. Think of a car...

"Eureka! I've got it for sure! Those are the positions for your hands on the steering wheel!"

You're almost there! Positions with regard to what instrument?

"With regard to what instrument? You mean a clock face, right?"

Ding, ding, ding!!!
Nailed it!
(smile)
But here's the reason for my post.
This afternoon, I was finally treating myself to the joys of "The LEGO Ninjago Movie".
My thought when Garmadon was teaching his son to drive was this:
How many of the new generation even know what "ten and two" means?
How many of today's youth have had to tell time using an analog clock?
I'm serious... how many of them?

"Good point. With lit digital numbers giving us the time on all manner of electronic gadgets, who needs to keep track of where the big hand and the little hand is?"

Exactly.
That will soon be a skill gone by the wayside.

"Well, it will still show up in kids' movies! Like in "Beauty and The Beast", with the guy who is an old-fashioned clock!"

You mean Cogsworth.

"Yeah, that's his name! What a lovely machine he was..."

Indeed. Good call on that movie, by the way.

"Thanks! Hey, did you notice the similarity with GOTG:V2 in this one today?"

You mean the father-son game of catch? Yeah, I caught that.
Ba-dum-DUM!
(smile)
Here's my problem with that. I don't like the implication that only FATHERS can teach SONS how to toss a ball back and forth. Especially in this tale, in which the mom is a kick-butt ninja herself, so she's got sporty moves! Why is it assumed that SHE would not have taught Lloyd how to throw and catch?
At least in "Field of Dreams" the boy already knew how to play, he had just wanted one more chance to toss the ball back and forth with his dad.

"Maybe you should have taken a ball with you when you went to Iowa in 2012."

Hey, I didn't even remember to pack my passport for the Canada part of my adventure. How on Earth would I have remembered a baseball?

"True that. You were a tad bit distracted that summer by the physicist..."

Change of subject, please.

"How about that running bear? It's Tuesday with Kevin for sure now!"

Yeah. He sat in the Galley tonight and watched the television. We were there barely an hour when he suddenly begged off from the scheduled movie. Then ... Honestly, change of subject, please. I am still so mad at him.

"Honey, I am so sorry to hear that. Especially as Saturday was such a wonderful time with him... okay! New topic! Did this Lego movie remind you of the other gang of teens with special powers?"

What? Oh, you mean the Power Rangers! Yes, these kids most definitely reminded me of those! That was another fun flick that I would like to see again sometime.
Okay, time for me to watch those Harper boys and get psyched for tomorrow...
or maybe watch some "Psych" instead!
I caught the last half of "Loving Vincent" at the Lucas tonight.
Mayhaps there's a Shawn and Gus story about an artist...
Later!

ps i thank You, God, for the penny at the corner of Broughton and Abercorn.
Right place, right time, after all.
(smile)

No comments: