Sunday, February 26, 2017

40th reunion, at last



Originally, the 40th reunion of the class of 1976 of Herschel Victor Jenkins High School was scheduled for a Saturday in October, twenty weeks ago.
Then that bully came stomping up the coast and wrecked our plans.
Now, in another three months, it will be our 41st year since graduation.
Ah, all's well that ends well, right?
And last night certainly ended well, as did this morning!
In the photo, I'm seated in front, near the center.
Recognize that Hawaiian dress that once belonged to Mother Pat?
I thought that was entirely appropriate, as the reunion was held at Tybee Beach.
From one beach to another, you know!
I think I was the only one who wore my hair in a long braid, up high, gray streaks proudly showing.
Hey, I knew there would be dancing, with Bucky & Barry playing tunes for us!

And much dancing
there was!
Here I am with Josie -
oops! I mean Jo,
as she now prefers -
with my hair
swinging about
behind me!
I'm so glad Jo was there -
I honestly don't know that
I would have gone otherwise.

Here she and I are a little earlier,
this time with Genie Brazzeal
(white shirt, in the center)
and Danny Lewis
(off to the side,
in the blue shirt,
hitching his pants up).
(That's Trudy Mehlhorn
in the red top -
she never talked to me tonight,
just like in high school).
(smile)

Genie and Danny stayed
with me last night.
I had booked a double
there at Hotel Tybee,
so I could have a drink
and not have to drive.
They had not.
So the karaoke girl
and the guy from my church
took the extra bed in my room.
They even paid for it!

Here is Jo dancing
with her man,
Kenny Williams.
Can you believe they
met online?
And get this:
they're both
from Savannah,
even grew up here.
Guess this town
is not that small,
after all!

Here they are again,
later in the evening,
still cheek to cheek,
still with happy smiles,
still holding hands
and dancing close...
so wonderful to see!

She even loaned
his dancing services
to me
for the faster tunes!
Woohoo!!!
I almost felt like
I was back in my
disco days!
Thanks, Kenny,
for the twirls!
Thanks, Jo,
for my dance partner!
Thanks, Bucky and Barry,
for playing the classics!
Thanks, La Dolce Vita,
for the excellent dance floor!

And here we have
the original
Breakfast Club!
Hahaha haha!
Cathy Lewis, outsider
but chief wrangler
of the reunion,
took the photo of
me, my roommates,
her husband (Randy)
and Nancy Riggs.
The day was brisk -
glad I had "Mary's Hug"
and socks!

We were joined at
the Sunrise Cafe
on Tybee
by Denna Shuman,
Pam Conners,
and Denise Bachman.
Good food,
good company!
Now, I am home again
and friends on fb
with new old friends...
life is good!
(smile)
i thank You, God!

No comments: