Wednesday, February 1, 2017

benzyl or phenyl?


Two of the more difficult substituents for my Chem1152 students are variations of the aromatic, benzene.
By pure serendipity (i thank You, God!), a problem popped into my head that served to showcase the difference.
Nothing was planned with the example.
I had no notes written before the lecture.
My example was, as usual, off the top of my head...
and worked out beautifully!

So, here's the set-up.


We started with this name: benzylispropylketone.
(Note: I leave spaces when I write the names to help the students break them down.)
They had to determine if it was the common name or the IUPAC name, then draw the molecule.


So far, so good!
Then I posed this question.


What was the IUPAC name, indeed.
Well, that called for use of a different set of rules.
First, identify the longest continuous chain of carbons.
Then, identify the functional groups present before looking at substituents.


And what to our wondering eyes did appear?
Not Rudolph and his kin, but an alternate aromatic!


Abracadabra!
We now were looking at 3-methyl-1-phenyl-2-butanone!

Was that some kind of mAgIC?

No, Virginia, simply a change in perspective.

(smile)

No comments: