Tuesday, April 25, 2017

nearly forgot my broken heart



I can't wrap my head around the fact that her funeral will be on Saturday.
My niece, Jean Marie Morgan, took her life on Sunday.
My brother Smitty broke the news to me last night. I had gone to join the Living Out Loud folks for bingo after my students finished their last test. I ended up leaving the table several times for phone calls that evening from family.
Jean Marie was only 31 years old.
Her birthday had been on Friday.

I wish I had been able to spend more time with her.
She is my stepsister Susan's daughter and has basically been out of my life since Mama died in 2001.
Sure, we would see each other at the Christmas gatherings, while Frank was alive...but he's been dead since 2011.
Then, I saw her for her brother's wedding in 2012...
and her son's first birthday...
and at the baby shower for her brother's first child.

Of course, we saw each other on facebook.
In fact when I was combing her page for a recent photo of her, I found it a difficult task.
Not that there was a scarcity of such - not at all.
But the majority were of her in group shots, surrounded by laughing girlfriends at parties or dinners or just together.
Then there were those candids of her with her son and daughter, with her dear Robert, or her mom, or her brother and his growing family.
And she was always smiling her sweet smile, radiating love.

She has struggled with drug abuse since she was a teen.
Ever since, she has fought with depression, struggling to grasp happiness, self-medicating with alcohol or other substances when no other way helped.
The depression seemed to have taken a new hold after her daughter's birth.
Counseling did not help to elevate her presence in the world.
She and Robert had even lost their children to foster care for a while.
But she had taken steps to change her life for the better last year. I had applauded her actions and voiced my pride in her and love of her.
And now she is gone.

I know Chris Cornell's song is about a lost lover, but it speaks to my heart of grief, the grief I already associate with this month for my Daddy, my friend Sam Johnson, and my mother-in-law Pat.
Ever since I heard the song on the radio this morning as I drove to school, the refrain won't turn loose of me.

I almost forgot my broken heart,
it's taking me miles away
from the memory of how it broke apart,
here we go 'round again...

May God reunite your spirit with those of Pop and Grammy, Jean Marie.
Please give them big hugs for me.

7 comments:

faustina said...

Here is the link to the obituary:

http://www.gamblefuneralservice.com/obituary/jean-marie-morgan/

faustina said...

Notice from Asbury Memorial United Methodist Church on Wednesday, April 26, 2017:

"The members of Asbury Memorial extend their love and sympathy to Jean, John, Zaida, and Molly Hester in the death of Jean's niece, Jean Marie Morgan, who made her transition on Monday, April 24.

Jean Marie's mother and Jean Hester's sister is Susan Morgan, who was a nurse at Memorial Hospital for many years and who has helped many Asburians in the surgery center as they prepared for surgery.

Our prayers are with the Morgan and Hester families."

I gathered up my moxie and replied that the young woman was also MY family. That prompted a followup email to the congregation on Thursday, April 27, 2017:

"Jean Marie Morgan, who recently passed away, was also the niece of Asburian, Tina Smith. Our prayers continue to be with the Morgan, Hester, and Smith families.

Below is the obituary for Jean Marie:

Obituary:
Jean Marie Morgan, 31, of Savannah, Georgia, died Monday, April 24, 2017.
Born in Savannah, Georgia, she was the daughter of Susan Barry Morgan and the late Stephen Drew Morgan, Sr. Jean Marie attended St. James Catholic School, St. Vincent's Academy, and Memorial Day School. She dearly loved her family, especially her children. She loved music, art, the beach, bicycling, gardening, and enjoyed the outdoors. Jean Marie was a kind hearted, gentle soul. She had God in her heart and asked frequently for His help. Now, He has taken her home with Him, and there she will be forever safe in His arms.
In addition to her father, she was preceded in death by her maternal grandparents, Francis "Frank" Ignatius Barry and Zaida Roberts Barry and Sybil Faustina Lee Barry, and her paternal grandparents, Dewey Morgan, Sr. and Shirley Priester Morgan.
Surviving are one daughter, Brooklyn Marie Williams; one son, Grayson Stroud Williams; her mother, Susan Barry Morgan; one brother, Stephen Drew Morgan, Jr. and his wife, Sarah; niece and nephew, Mason Drew Morgan and Blakely Elizabeth Morgan, and her aunts, uncles and cousins.
The family will receive friends from 6 until 8 o'clock Friday evening at Gamble Funeral Service - 410 Stephenson Avenue.

The Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10 o'clock Saturday morning at St. James Catholic Church conducted by The Reverend Joseph A. Smith. Interment will be in the Greenwich section of Bonaventure Cemetery.
Remembrances: An education fund has been set up for Grayson Stroud Williams and Brooklyn Marie Williams at Wells Fargo Bank.
Please share your thoughts about Jean Marie and her life at www.gamblefuneralservice.com"

Thank you...and thanks to the Morgan family for including Mama in the obituary.

Anonymous said...

Robb Worthington
April 30 at 4:09am

Condolences to you and yours

Anonymous said...



Rhonda S. Curby
April 29 at 6:57am

Oh I'm so very sorry Tina. You are all in my heart.

Anonymous said...



Lynn Engler
April 27 at 4:59pm

Sorry for your loss.

The Universe said...

The Universe via tut.ccsend.com

Apr 26

to me
Accepting full responsibility for every little thing in your life, Faustina, is what opens the floodgates to joy and power.

Or to what we here call "joypower."

Every little thing,
The Universe

faustina said...

Wow.
I just found out that Chris Cornell, the singer of the song spoken of in this post, died in May.
Cause of death?
Suicide.
Wow.
I am absolutely stunned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Cornell