Saturday, February 10, 2018

hail, caesar!


I should have taken a photo, but I couldn't wait that long.
After all, I've been dreaming of the Three Meat Treat for over a week...
I even almost got one last Monday after class...
so, having it beside me riding shotgun from southside, I was more than ready.
Sure, I brought in the groceries first - but didn't even put away the cold stuff.
I poured a glass of milk, popped open the box, and grabbed a slice.
Divine!
Even without cheese, it rocketed my taste buds to the moon!
Before I knew it, half the pizza was gone, as well as a second glass of milk.
I ate another two slices anyway.
That leaves me with two slices for breakfast tomorrow.
Not bad for only seven dollars.
(smile)


Today was well under way by the time I rose at noon-thirty.
The blooming tree was in full sun - and full warmth, too!
I threw open the windows to allow the free heat into my home - aaaahhhh!
My blower motor has come in, but will not be installed until Tuesday.
Old Coast HVAC called on Friday with the news, ready, willing, and able to get it into place on Monday afternoon - but I'll have Office Hours then.
I do hope they will send Joe to do the work.
(smile)


This time, the kitties were saying goodbye to me.
Where was I off to this afternoon?
Well, I needed to go out to the school to take care of some lab work...
so I treated myself to a movie first!
I finally went to see "The Post".
The movie has been out for at least a month, but I had put it off as being yet another history-laden exercise in cinematography.
That it was, but with a twist I had not expected.
I don't believe I've even heard anyone mention that this was about women's liberation.
However, it assuredly was, just like "The Battle Of The Sexes", as I said earlier.
Taking place in 1971 - a year before that film - this one featured a woman who was the owner of a major newspaper company, having inherited it after the deaths of her father and husband. But Katharine Graham was 'in charge' only in the sense that a wooden carving of a female is 'in charge' of a ship. In other words, she was a figurehead, signing off on decisions only after her male advisors have informed her which option to choose.
Fast forward to late in the movie. She is having a discussion with her daughter. A huge decision is weighing on her and she is concerned about losing the company, "my father's company, your father's company". That's when her daughter sets her straight about whose company it is now.
Amen!
Her husband, Phil Graham, had been dead for eight years. He had been placed in charge since 1946 by Katharine's father, who had been the owner since purchasing the bankrupt paper back in 1933.
Katharine was very fortunate to have such a strong, sensible daughter to advise her.
If not for that daughter, the freedom of the press might well have been trampled by the Nixon administration. The New York Times had already been muzzled and The Washington Post had to make the hard choice of publishing for the governed, not the governers.
Hooray for that mother-loving daughter!
Hooray for the courageous choice of the mother!
Hooray for the many other newspapers who took up the flag for the First Amendment!
Hooray for the Supreme Court for upholding that right for the public to know!

i thank God i was born when i was, during those history-making times.
How very fortunate!

No comments: