Thursday, February 1, 2018

jff is sweet 16!


The Jewish Film Festival is done for me, though its final film will be on Sunday.
I've already seen that one, though, thanks to JAVAFLIX Savannah, so that ten dollar fee will remain in my pocket. Not that I didn't enjoy "The Women's Balcony", you understand, and wouldn't willingly see it again in the future. Aoyf di farkert, meyn fraynd. The film was entertaining, educational, and empowering, the best 3 e's possible. It was also a wonderful study of married women and the loving husbands who support them in their beliefs. I highly recommend it!
My final film with the JFF was their penultimate one, "The Wedding Plan". What a lark it was, too! After being jilted by her fiance, the bride-to-be decides to have her wedding anyway. Why? Because God would provide her a husband, supposedly as a reward for her faith... her faith that God would do so. To help out, though, she would go on blind dates. Rather funny! I'm glad Barbara and Sandy were there for this tres amigas outing. After watching this, we were all thrilled to not be looking for a match!
Earlier today, I was on my own for the afternoon film, "In Our Hands: The Battle For Jerusalem". The documentary concerned the Six-Day War between Israel, Jordan, and Egypt. Very informative, as it occurred in 1967 when I was only eleven and not paying attention to the news, much less the news abroad.
I had half-hoped that Yossie might join me for the film, but he did not. I would not have been surprised, given his age, to find that he had fought in that war.
I very much enjoyed the $5 lunch before the afternoon film! It was called an Israeli meal: hummus, couscous, tomato-cucumber salad, falafel in a pita. There was even chocolate cake for dessert! I guess that dish is universal.
(smile)
That was not the only lunch-and-a-movie combo that I bought. Ten bucks for the film, but only five dollars for lunch? What a deal!
So, last Thursday, the second day of this year's JFF (but my first film there), I had a Cuban lunch! Mojo chicken (thighs and drumsticks), black beans with saffron rice, spinach salad, green beans - not only tasty, but colorful! Freshly backed chocolate chip cookies were in abundance for our sweet tooth - yum!
Why Cuban food? To set up our mental taste buds for the film which followed, of course! "Cuba's Forgotten Jewels: A Haven In Havana" was a documentary that focused on the Jews that settled in that tropical paradise during the horrors of World War II. Thanks to the diamond industry, they were even able to have a successful life there. When those companies moved to the United States after the war, the people did, too.
It was only an hour-long film, so we were treated to a second - surprise! - short to round out the afternoon. And what a delight it was! The little documentary followed the film hobby of Yasha (Jack) Pashkovsky, "The Man Who Shot Hollywood". I say "hobby" because he was never a professional photographer. However, he worked in the film business and was a friendly fellow, so famous folks didn't mind him taking candids of them. It really made me think of my picture-taking passion and what a puzzle it may prove to posterity!
(smile)
I was not able to see another of the JFF's offerings until last Sunday. (That would be the fourth day and the fifth film of the festival.) For this one, I had splurged for the dinner. Seriously, here else would I get a salmon dinner - including dessert and beverage - for fourteen dollars? Nowhere in this town! No surcharge for waitstaff, either. My money fetched me a lovely piece of salmon, jasmine rice, sauteed vegetables, and a salad, too.
(After spending two hours at Armstrong for Special Office Hours for three students, I very much liked not having to make dinner. That fish was a definite treat!)
(smile)
The film that night was a definite treat, too. A mystery-drama with a musical core, "Past Life" concerned two sisters and their search to better know their deceased father. I had thought it was a true story, but it's part of a trilogy based on real-life. I'll look forward to the next one in the series! I think we'll find that the young music director is actually a half-brother... maybe!
(smile)
Let's see, what else?
Oh, yes, I remember! On Tuesday, the next day of the sweet-16 JFF, I watched the hilarious mocumentary! "The 90 Minute War" was quite timely with its press furor over sports 'wars' ... and its honest take on how quickly the public - and the media - puts the game-day event aside once it's done.
Seriously, consider the SuperBowl game to be waged next Sunday. Right now, you can't even find a news outlet that isn't wrapped up in pre-game folly, with the Patriots again playing, after last year's betting-crazed debacle. I do hope that the Houston Astros win... but will that change my life?
Well... will it?
However, taking a few days to "journey" to other countries, to learn a bit of history, to become acquainted with another religion and culture - that can only better my life.
I can hardly wait for next year's film slate to be announced!
Perhaps you will join me?
(smile)

No comments: