Sunday, February 18, 2018

flurry of film festivals!


The first few months of the year have become saturated with film festivals.
This year, I was absent from some of them.

The Telluride Mountainfilm On Tour Savannah?
That was held on the 18th to the 20th of last month. I was newly with cats, the weather was cold, it was too costly for me, and I had Dawn's Saturday party on my mind.
I elected instead to go to romantic movies with Carolyn on Thursday and Friday, then a love-filled play with Barbara on Sunday, to finish out that weekend.

The Black Heritage Celebration Month Films at Armstrong?
Those were on sequential Tuesdays, starting on January 23rd and running for four weeks. They were free, too, and right on campus at the Ogeechee Theatre.
However, I already had tickets for the lip-sync battle, so I missed "Get Out"... again... after several chances to have already seen it in its cinema-run. "Selma" and "Marshall" were also missed, the former because of the Jewish Film Festival, the latter for a much-needed dinner with the physicist.
The only one I caught was "42", but I made sure I would be there! Primarily, I was interested because it was about Jackie Robinson. It helped that it was screened at noon, rather than at 6 PM like the others - much better for my schedule! And the movie? Divine! How wonderful that it was filled with so many baseball games, too! I wish I could have had Willie there, too, but his health doesn't allow so much mobility.

The Gray's Reef Ocean Film Festival?
This year's films were screened at various theatres in Savannah and Tybee, on the 9th to 11th of this month. Although still free, they asked for "suggested donations" to offset the cost.
I meant to go, I did... but that Friday I stayed home all day and all night.
Seriously.
I think the stress of giving the ultimatum to Ed exhausted me.
Saturday saw me staying quite low-key, sleeping in again, rising only in time for a matinee movie before going off to the school. (I had to prepare for a new lab, "Polymers", never done before.)
Sunday was the day I most would have enjoyed, as it was down at Tybee again. However, there was a low country boil with my brothers at that same time...so that's where I was.
And gladly so!

This afternoon, I'll be missing a movie I have long wanted to see. "The Florida Project" is being shown by CinemaSavannah for one screening only, at 4 PM today. The Willem Dafoe film promises to be an insight into a man who manages an extended-stay motel in a downtrodden area of town. "CBS Sunday Morning" even had an interview withhim on today's show!
But I cannot attend.
I have a Special Office Hours this evening, prior to tomorrow's second test.
I had initially planned to hold the session from 1:30 to 3:30 PM. However, one of my students asked if I could wait until after 5 PM, as she must work until that time.
So, I have acquiesced to her request.

Once upon a time, I had complained to the bfe about having to choose between two events. One was the screening of a film, the other was something involving being with some folks I know.
Secrest had said, "the movie can be seen any time."
And he was absolutely right.
Times shared with others comes first...
except when those overlap with special screenings.
Best of both worlds!
(smile)
Now, off I go to church, for the first time in a few weeks!
Later!

No comments: