Tuesday, February 6, 2018

won't get fooled again


Pete Townshend was definitely onto something when he wrote this song.
Twice, I've been lured in to watch horror films, a genre I abhor.
Twice, I've expected better, only to horribly disappointed.
I know, I know, how could that even come to pass?
Everyone knows that I object to being subjected to such films...
and, still, I did subject myself to them.
Why?
The films had A-list actors that I had trusted to not be in such schlock.
Sure, Jamie Lee Curtis was in "The Fog" and I went to see that... but there were extenuating circumstances for each of us.
She and I were both 21 years old when that movie entered cinemas. For her, the draw had to be working with her mom in the movie. For me, my pre-teen youngest brother wanted to see the R-rated movie, so I accompanied him.
Like I said, extenuating circumstances.
I guess I could claim special dispensation for the two horror films I've seen of late. After all, the cinema chain proffered extra reward credits for seeing them... so, there was that.
Even so, I was definitely misled.
How would I ever have suspected that Helen Mirren, of all people, would be in such a horror film as "Winchester"? Honestly?! This woman is the winner of an Oscar for Best Actress, she's been the winner of more than 100 acting awards. She's even been a Dame since 2003, for crying out loud!
I don't know. Perhaps she has a stake in that San Franciscan house and is hoping for an uptick in its tourist draw.
As for "Mother!", the true draw for me was its stellar cast.
I haven't seen Michelle Pfeiffer in anything in years, so of course I thought this would be good, if she had opted to act in it. My mistake. (I'm glad she followed this up with "Murder On The Orient Express", in which she was fabulous!)
Ed Harris has been quite active this past decade, though in almost nothing that screened here in Savannah. I take that back: he was in a small role in "Geostorm", which I liked. (Fortunately, I saw that Gerard Butler movie about a month later, to wash the taste of this horror film out of my mouth.)
As for Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem, I have no idea why they consented to be in any horror film, much less this poorly-made one. Here's hoping they'll find something soon to make folks forget their acting transgression.
As for me, I'm going to be much more discriminating.
No more horror films for me.
Life is too short.

No comments: