Friday, February 2, 2018

math nerds, unite!



I'm so glad I had alerted Barbara to this play!
You do know that she teaches gifted math to middle-schoolers, right?
And you do recall that she also tutors all levels of math students in the evenings?
Well, she does, and she does.
In other words, she is the perfect nerd for a nerd event like this!
My cousin Beverly of Augusta would have been an excellent addition to our group. You see, she teaches math to high-schoolers! If she had been here, she would have been perfect to make us a threesome!
Not that I can claim math-nerd status, not really.
My students may differ with me on that, but I know it's been more than thirty years since I took calculus or physical chemistry. As I tell them, math is a language, and all I've spoken since my days as a student have been the little bits needed to stay moderately conversant in that country.
Know what I mean?
(smile)


"Victoria Martin: Math Team Queen" boasted two blackboards - yes, those old-fashioned things - at stage front in the Black Box of Jenkins Hall.
Barbara, of course, had to go up and check them out! She pronounced them as having legitimate equations and diagrams.
Hooray!
That means the set designers of the Armstrong Masquers did their homework!
(The folks involved with "The Big Bang Theory" do their homework, too. They have real physicists, at universities and research facilities, vying to have their work displayed on Sheldon's whiteboard. Hilarious!)
The play was fabulously funny, featuring a truly nerdy freshman, two juniors (with a closeness that rivals that of Howard and Raj), and a senior. They're the Math Team, an all-male group now tasked with adding a girl to stay eligible for math tournaments.
Enter sophomore Victoria. On the surface, she's a popular puff-head princess... but the girl has depth. She's a closet math nerd who memorizes the many places of pi and recites them when she gets anxious. However, she only allows herself to do so when she is alone. She can't take a chance on the other girls finding out.
Her math teacher isn't fooled. He recommends her to the Math Team, to replace a teammate who had moved away. They didn't want her there and she didn't want to be there, but they all had to work together.
Now, tune up the teen angst!
Cue the dramatic reveal!
Enter romantic undercurrent!
Barbara and I were soooo grateful to not be teenagers!
Hahahaha haha!
i thank You, God, for this blessing!

No comments: