Tuesday, October 30, 2018

penny in augusta


As I told my cousin Sharon, I came a day early so I could practice.
After all, this was the first chemistry nerds conference I'd been to in twenty years or more, so I wanted to make sure i knew what was going on and where things were located.
That last one had been in Chicago and I was job-hunting and newly married, so it must have been in 1993 or 1994.
Why was I attending this one? Already tiring of being 'retired'?
(smile)
Not hardly!
But being 'retired' allowed me to attend at a greatly reduced price, which allowed me to feel free to purchase attendance at a few special events that sounded quite enticing.
Thank you, Georgia Board of Regents for affording me that perk!
(smile)
Plus, I have my maternal cousin (Sharon) and paternal cousin (Bev) living there.
The business trip would allow me to visit with one of them, too!
I had not seen Sharon and Susan since the wedding... so I see them on Friday!
What a wonderful birthday60 vacation for me!
(smile)

I had a leisurely drive here and found the Quality Inn to be an easy drive from the Augusta Conference Center downtown. Hooray!
There had been some concern, I admit, but I will be able to stay here for less than half the cost of the Marriott. Hooray!
I've officially checked into the 70th Annual South East Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, making this my first SERMACS.
As that was the business to be done today, I took my leave for some fun...
some Tuesday discounted-movie fun, at the local Regal Cinema!


Such a pretty cinema!
My timing was off, though.
I had an hour wait for "The Nightmare Before Christmas",
so I walked around inside, making a game of staying on
the chocolate-colored tiles crisscrossing the lobby.
(smile)
Then, after that one was done, I had another hour before
"London Fields", so... I played my 'game' again.
(smile)
And after all had been viewed and I was going to my car,
a coppery glint caught my eye...
a penny!!!
Wow...
right place, right time.
i thank You, God.

No comments: