Friday, October 5, 2018

tamed back yard!


Over the summer, my back yard has undergone quite a few changes.
Thanks to my brothers - Smitty and Tony - the grass has been kept at a manageable height.
Thanks to the next-door neighbor, the overhanging limbs from his trees no longer drape onto my roof or back deck.
And now, thanks to Georgia Power, the redbuds and wild lantana that had blocked the view of any backyard neighbors have been eradicated.
I had come home last night, after a double header southside. The films had nothing in common; in fact, I hadn't even thought I'd see one of them, as I thought I had a play, "God Of Carnage", at Armstrong. That didn't happen, though. A phone call with Smitty (about brother Ronnie) had lasted longer than expected, so I was too late - by three minutes - for the Black Box production.
That was just as well.
My first movie had been "Life Itself", a love story that had begun long before the two people ever met. How so? Well, there was a horrific trauma which united their spirits and eventually led to their physical meeting... at the location of the long-ago horrific trauma.
What a beautiful story of love!
It had left me in tears, of course.
(smile)
After such a tale, I don't think I would have liked the fierce combativeness of the play.
Instead, I enjoyed my Publix chirashi at a leisurely pace, at the Science Center annex.
(smile)
I had plenty of time to lollygag before the 8:45 screening of Marvel Comics' latest, "Venom", so I truly had taken my time with my dinner.
And the movie? How did I like it?
This Marvel movie is magnificent!!!
Not since the first "Deadpool" movie have I been so captivated by a loser!
(smile)
Come to think of it, Venom is rather a romantic movie, just as that was.
So, my double header slate did feature related films!
What a stroke of serendipity!
(smile)

Then, I had come home and had a pile of trees and bushes between the driveway and the front walk. I actually had to walk into the street and up my sidewalk to get to my porch with my groceries!
Apparently, sometime between my leaving the house at 4 PM and nightfall, the folks at Georgia Power had come to my house and totally removed the trees and brush by the power lines in my back yard.
Wow.
Here's the amazing part, though.
When I woke up this morning, about an hour ago, I was going to take a photo of the debris piled high in my front yard.
It was already gone.
All of it, as if it had been a dream.
Only the cleared back fence bears testimony that I had not dreamt it.
Wow.

Notice that the popsicle fence cannot even be seen.
The grass in the back runs right
up to the lush greenery of the row
of lantana bushes, interspersed
with the darker green of the
redbud trees.
I usually clear out the lantana each fall, after the monarch butterflies have had their fill.
The redbuds I have tried for years
to remove.

Now, not only is the reddish-brown
fence clearly visible, but so is the
upper part of my neighbor's house!
Also, the overhanging branches
from the crepe myrtle of my neighbor
to the right -
left side of the photo -
are gone from sight now,
revealing a yard that may grow
grass this coming year!

1 comment:

Faustina said...

Lest it be thought the city had this done for free... it did not.
I received the charge on my water/sewer/trash bill almost two months later.
The charge?
Only fifty dollars.
That's for the cutting and clearing and hauling it all away.
What a bargain!