Tuesday, October 2, 2018

i take photos, therefore i am

This morning, I was reminded of the photography exhibit that I took in last week.
That was on the same day as the talk about Monet and Matisse.

This one truly captured me.
It's a self-portrait - that is, the precursor of the modern "selfie" -
of Ralph Steiner in 1929, when he was 30 years old.
"My hugging my camera says clearly (but differently from Descartes):
'I photograph; therefore I am'.
I would have been a mess my whole life long had I not been blessed by my ability to use my camera to speak for me."
"
His advice to future photographers?
"Be intensely yourself.
Don't try to be understanding;
don't try to be a success;
don't try to do pictures for
others to look at -
just please yourself.
"
Those may not be the same words I had spoken to Willie when he asked what I did with my photos, but they have the same gist.
I primarily take pictures to entertain myself, not for anyone else.

Walker Evans, another American shutterbug born in the same decade, had good advice, too.
"The secret of photography is, the camera takes on the character and personality of the handler."
I must agree.
The best pictures I've taken have been when I am cheerful and serene, with that mental attitude reflected in the photos.
Also, taking a photo with love results in the subject being showered in that extra brightness.

Such thoughts were not restricted to men of this country, as shown in the advice of Manuel Alvarez Bravo.
"Shoot what you see, not what you think. A photographer's philosophy should be not to have one."
So often, I watch people miss a shot because they are trying to attain some mythical "perfect" pose.
I find I have the best photos when I "point and click" while looking at the subject, not at the viewfinder.

Consider this example.
I shot this tonight, on our "Tina Tuesday", as Kevin and I were dining at Jason's Deli.
It was our first time there, ever.
And what is noticed in the photo?
His well-shaped hand and the fine hair on his arms, the thick and nicely groomed hair, the broad and straight shoulders... and his shyness in this public place.
I captured his strength and his vulnerability justthatfast, without deliberately trying to do so... just trusting my camera to record this moment in time.
(smile)

No comments: