Monday, July 1, 2019

happy birthday, alan ruck

Alan Ruck had his 63rd birthday today.
You would think I would have that on my calendar.
You know, being that he and I have a history together.
Oh, have I somehow not shared our story here, on this beach?
We met at Dragon*Con 2009.
I had attended with my BFF and her family, primarily in memory of Sam Johnson.
We were in line for a panel with various actors who'd been featured in "Star Trek" movies or television shows.
The line-up was amazing: Louise Fletcher (as the conniving Vedek/Kai Winn on 14 episodes of "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine"); Malcolm McDowell (the remarkable mad scientist, Dr. Soran, in "Star Trek: Generations"); Alan Ruck (the hapless Captain Harriman, in command of an incomplete starcraft, also in "Star Trek: Generations"); plus a couple of others whose names have escaped me.
As I said, we were standing in the hall, waiting for admittance.
Suddenly, my BFF nods to the left and says "Isn't that Cameron over there?"
I look, and freeze.
Coming up the stairs and headed directly toward us, there he was!
Somehow, as he neared, I stepped toward him, right hand outstretched for a handshake, and I asked, "Aren't you Alan Ruck?"
Taking my hand in his, firmly but softly, he had replied, "I am. What is your name?"
He kept walking, so I was twirled during this conversation, as if we were dancing...
and I had managed to say, "Faustina"...
"What a beautiful name," he told me...
then he loosed my hand and continued on to the door of the panel room.
Wow.
I was left stunned by the encounter.
The man had said my name was beautiful.
Wow.

The panel was a hoot and a half!
He and Malcolm managed to sit beside each other and they were cutting up the entire time, like a couple of mischievous school boys!
It was as if they were best friends who had not seen each other in far too long and were now making up for lost time!
Perhaps they were...
they had been on the same movie together...
so, perhaps they were.
Maybe I'll ask Alan Ruck about that on our next encounter.
(smile)

No comments: