Sunday, July 21, 2019

four women


"What A Difference A Day Makes" in "Early Autumn", when there is "A Time For Love".
"I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together"!
And I'm so glad to have heard Cynthia Utterbach singing all these songs, and more, this evening, in the company of the Eric Jones Trio.
She performed the above songs in the styles of several famous women, including Dinah Washington, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, and - surprise, surprise, surprise! - Carol Burnett, respectively.
There were three others included in her revue. One of those, Shirley Horn, was not one I knew, but I did enjoy the slow and sultry "Love Dance". That was easily the most risque song I've ever heard... or maybe my imagination is simply too honed from a life of reading.
(smile)
Billie Holiday, of course, is a woman whose singing I've enjoyed most of my life. "Comes Love" was not one I knew, but no matter when "nothing can be done". (Hey, listen to the song to get my little joke!)
As for Nina Simone, I had not been aware that she wrote songs. I am now. Thanks, Cynthia, for introducing me to "Four Women", a song exploring the vast diversity within the term "black" (which Nina referred to as "negro").
Thanks, also, for sharing this story about the songstress!
What a way to spend a Sunday evening!
Plus, this was my first time at the Mansion on Forsyth's Autograph Room.
I very much liked it - more room to dance and so many mirrors!
(smile)
Usually, the monthly concerts for the Coastal Jazz Association are held across the river, at the Ben Tucker Pavilion. I'm glad this one was here in town!
Plus, this was the fourth of these concerts that I've attended.
That means any others before September 26th will truly be free for me!
There are two scheduled and I already have them on my calendar.
(smile)
Remember when I renewed my CJA membership last fall?
I had been a bit shocked at the sticker price for singles: seventy-five dollars.
That's fifty percent more than someone who is part of a "doublet" pays - ouch.
That cost meant it would require me to attend four "paid" concerts - which are $20 apiece to the public - before reaping any membership rewards.
I have finally reached that point.

I had started off well, driving out to the venue on the golf course for the October event.
Jonathan Baptiste & the Urban Intellectuals were a sextet out of Florida and were surprisingly young.
"I Don't Feel No Ways Tired" was a toe-tapper tune to warm the blood on that cold day!
My favorite, though, was their version of "I'll Fly Away" -
thanks, y'all!
I wish it was recorded somewhere!


Off to a good start with my concert-going, I faltered the next month, missing the Tim Fischer Quartet in November. It isn't that I was busy on that Sunday, I just didn't want to venture forth in the cold.
December did not have a monthly concert.
January did and I was all set to get the new year started with the Mitch Hennes Quartet. However, that was not to be. I didn't return from Auntie Arlene's celebration in Virginia in time for the show.
How about February and the Ben Rosenblum Trio? Frankly, I was overbooked. Mi tres amigas already had me for the one-day-only Oscar shorts that Tomasz had curated.

However, I made sure to be there on the March date!
I was rather excited about GC & The Cuban Cowboys and so were others - their CD sold out before the show!
Such lively music there in South Carolina for this sunny day!
The small room was filled to over-capacity, but I still managed to dance to the beat.
What an excellent finish to my day across the river with my step-mom and nephew Conner!
(smile)

April was a miss, though.
It's not that I don't enjoy the Duke Ellington tribute every spring, because I do. In fact, I try to catch that man's music every chance I get. However, this was my only chance to see the Savannah Stage Company's one-time-only performance of their first musical this year... and I have no clone. That meant Forsyth Park, not South Carolina, for today's destination of the one and only body I have.
(smile)

May was certainly not a miss!
However, I missed out on any photographs because... I left my trusty phone at home.
I had a busy day planned and I was everywhere I should have been and intended to be, so that's the good part.
Attending the concert with saxophonist Tom Scott, backed by local favorites the Howard Paul Trio, was definitely a rewarding experience for me!

June was not meant to be a miss, but it was. I had looked forward to hearing the Joe Alterman Trio, as he looked to be a fun fellow! However, as it turned out, I returned from Florida, but my car did not. I guess I could have called someone for a ride, but who to call? Plus, I would have had to pay for their ticket.

I made it to this one, though, and it was wonderful!
How nice that I have two completely free concerts ahead!
The one in August features the Robert Louis Quartet, here at the Mansion again.
Then, in September, I'll have the 38th Annual Savannah Jazz Festival - woohoo! I especially look forward to Blues Night in Forsyth Park, where Sugar-Ray Rayford will be the main attraction.
(smile)
That'll be free for everyone, so I'll be sure to invite all I know!
I'll be sure to include my brother Smitty - he's a jazz fan, too!
(smile)

1 comment:

CJA said...

Coastal Jazz Association
July 24 at 12:20 PM

We're so happy you could be there!