Sunday, July 28, 2019

rutger and alan

I think I've figured out the source of my latest sweet dreams.
Rather, I should say the sources.


As this blog reflects, I've attended quite a few baseball games this month.
In fact, since the 25th of June, I have had thirteen days of baseball.
Two of those dates were for the CPL All-Stars, one was for an exhibition game, but the other ten were regularly-scheduled bouts between the Savannah Bananas and other teams of the Coastal Plains League.
What did they have in common?
At each and every one of those games, at least once during the proceedings, when an opposing team's batter was in the box, the bit from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" would be played in Grayson Stadium.
In the scene, Ferris has just caught a baseball hit way up, into the stands where they're sitting at Wrigley Field.
For the next man at bat, Cameron starts chanting to rattle him.
"Hey, batter batter,
swing,
batter.
He cannot,
he cannot,
he cannot,
he cannot,
he cannot,
swing,
batter.
"
Nice bit, right?
That 1986 movie has been a favorite since I was 28 years old.
That movie was also my introduction to Alan Ruck, though I would not realize how enamored I am of him until years later, at the 2009 Dragon*Con.
Now, every time I hear this chant, I immediately think of the scene in the movie...
and of Alan Ruck holding my hand and saying my name was beautiful.
(smile)

So, I think maybe that blue-eyed man is partly behind my recent dreams.
Rutger Hauer is the other one.


I have been in love with him ever since 1985.
That's when I first noticed him, as the gallant knight cursed by an evil and lecherous bishop.
I was the same age as Michelle Pfeiffer, the "Ladyhawke" by day to his wolf-man at night.
The two lovers were only able to catch glimpses of each other at dawn and at dusk, as they were transforming into their altered forms.
So very romantic!
I very much enjoyed him in "Buffy The Vampire Slayer", too, several years later. Very nice sense of humor, he had, one just glimpsed in the medieval love story.
Now, Rutger Hauer has died.
Jim broke the news to me on Wednesday, by way of announcing the special screening in his honor.
Even though I know the man was 75, my mental image still has him astride that steed.
I think he would have liked knowing that.
(smile)

No comments: