Saturday, December 21, 2019

at journey's end on a Saturday in 1872

I forget just where I was when I ran into Jenn Bishop, or even exactly when it was.
But, when I did, I'd told her I had my ticket for December 21st, as that was the last day of the journey in the play.
"Well done," she'd said, "well done!"
Nice to have that insider joke with the mistress of the Savannah Repertory Theatre!
(smile!)

Tonight was the night, at last arrived.
Right away, I felt as though I had stepped back in time!
These shoes looked as though they had stepped through a time portal and into The Playshop.
As it was, they'd been purchased from Poetic Licence for this evening's entertainment, and by a member of the audience, not someone in the play.
Well done, I say!

I know Mama would have loved that fancy, old-fashioned, footwear!
She would have greatly enjoyed "Around The World In 80 Days", too.
Based on the book by a Frenchman, with the storyline and central character based on the world-traveling exploits of an American named Fogg, it certainly was very richly flavored!
London to Egypt, then on to India before Hong Kong and Japan before bouncing to, and through, North America while en route back to merry old England!
All for the sake of a wager...
and too much idle time on Phileas Fogg's hands.
So, off he went, new manservant gamely at his side!
The entire play was performed by only five actors, with only Fogg having a single role - amazing!!!
The set was bare bones, too, recreating trains and steamships and various offices and sites using only five chairs, one small desk, and several small signs - amazing!!!

I completely gave my imagination license to run free during the entire play, of course.
And when a typhoon at sea threatened to swamp the ship and its four riders, a huge crest of water came in my direction...
and I raised my hands and turned my face into the rushing water to be immersed within the drops!
See them on the seat beside me?
I even took a few of the "drops" home in my pocket.
(smile!)

No comments: