Tuesday, December 17, 2019

four more parties, impromptu and planned!

In between the too-cold-to-venture-out days and the outings at the Lucas Theatre, I've managed to attend four Christmas gatherings, two more Tuesdays with Kevin, and another Psychotronic experience!
Oh, and a film in Pooler with two nieces!
All since the 9th of December, too!
Busy and vibrant, that's me!
(smile!)
Last Tuesday found me on a very rare meet-up with Christina and Chelsea for a movie.
Part of the reason it was rare is that both of them had the afternoon off!
They'd met for lunch, then I joined them for "Harriet" at the GTC Cinema, at 12:45 PM.
Such a rare occasion at any time, but unheard-of on a weekday!
What a treat for all three of us!
(smile!)
I even had plenty of time for a leisurely return to Savannah for "Tina Tuesday"!
This one featured dinner at Kevin's new favorite (Ole Time Country Buffet) and then to southside for "21 Bridges" about cops being middlemen in drug deals.
So nice to ride and talk with the bfrb on the way out there and then back!
Honestly, that may be my favorite part of our Tuesday evenings together...
well, at least one of my favorite parts!
(smile!)

The 11th was a definite treat!
This time, the Wednesday night crowd at the 'Bean was treated to a lighthearted Italian romance!
Surely John Travolta's ears were burning as his name was repeatedly said throughout the 1979 film.
"John Travolto... da un insolito destino" certainly did explore an alternate path, as look-alke Gianni the cook, with his lack of dance moves, pursued Ilona, the dancing DJ at the hottest club in town.
Good thing the popular klutz had a posse of faithful friends who saw his similarity to the movie star and helped further transform Gianni into a double.
They even taught him some dance steps!
Thoroughly endearing, much more than Jim had thought it would be.
He billed it as a ripoff of "Saturday Night Fever", but this movie was much kinder and gentler - loved it!
(smile!)

Friday the 13th was the make-up day at GenOne for "The Art Of Racing In The Rain".
I do so love this movie, and Kevin Costner's voice for the dog is a big reason for that.
I love the story, too, even though it does have some very teary-eyed sections...
perhaps even because of those heartfelt moments.
Of course I cried, even though I told Laura I didn't think I would.
Over-productive tear ducts, ya know.
(smile!)

Friday the 13th also found me downtown at night, cold weather be damned!
Cinema Savannah was gracing its faithful audience with a rare treat: an upbeat film wrapped around a holiday eve with family!
"Feast of The Seven Fishes" had all that and more!
Christmas romance! Family shenanigans! Sibling rivalry!
And food... lots and lots of food, being prepared through most of the movie and eaten in the rest of it!
We were all starving for some of that Italian food by the movie's end!
So, off we went to Bella's for our impromptu Christmas gathering!
I was the only one to have seafood, opting for the Wreath of Ten Shrimp, aka shrimp scampi.
Barbara had the Chicken in a Bag, Sandy had Lasagna, and Carolyn dined on pasta with meatballs.
All of it was totally scrumptious, as was our dinner patter about all of those men cooking - very nice!
(smile!)

The very next night, Sandy and Carolyn and I were at Christa's for her annual Festivus!
Lauri and Lynn were there - I love the mother-daughter duo!
After the feast and the laughably bad movie - "The Gingerdead Man" - we gathered at the Festivus tree to go through the donated books.
I found a series that reminded me of "iZombie", so now I have reading matter for quiet night-time activity.
(smile!)

Two days later, on a Monday evening, I was out to a soiree at Sue Gorecki's downtown.
I am so grateful to her for including me in events with the Boomers!
That's my hostess on the left, chatting with Yvonne Serensky, a Boomer and former NK!er, like me!
Her husband, Louis Serensky, and Diane Johnson's husband, Shawn Hill, were the ones to greet me at the door, evidently serving as bouncers that night.
But I was a treasured guest, so
there were hugs all around!
Then, even more when Terri and Joe Adragna arrived, and Stania and her visiting sister, and Lisa!
So much catching up and lively conversation!
So many delectable foods and Frango mints to savor!
Sue even sent me home with those chocolates to share for Christmas with Tyler, Zach and Linh, and Christy and John.
How very sweet - get it?! - of her!
(smile!)

Now, I've just returned home from the unveiling of the Armstrong State University Historical Marker.
Was that held downtown, where the school actually came into being?
No, it was placed southside, where the school had been from 1966 until 2017, in front of Lane Library on the Armstrong Campus of GaSoU.
Fortunately, the rain held off.
Unfortunately, that meant the gnats were in session.
My longtime friend, former chemistry classmate, and fellow alumna-cum-professor of Armstrong for many years had snagged us two seats right up front.
That's Yvonne in the purple, with the pirate earrings, sitting next to me in Christmas-y red.
She and I headed straight to the reception after, to reminisce and hope for better days for the campus.
Good thing there was so much chocolate and sweet stuff up there in Burnett Hall!
We both were wearing smiles and happy 'tudes as we took our leave!
Here's hoping her Christmas break is filled with happy memories!
I'm so glad she had contacted me about this event...
and this opportunity to see her!
(smile!)

No comments: