Saturday, December 21, 2019

forced to follow through

What is it about this time of year that makes folks think they can misbehave and not have any repercussions?
Seriously.
I've been waiting to return the two dolls taken hostage for dolphin-slaying.
Neither of the girls have asked about them, so they know quit well they have not yet deserved to have them returned to their care.
True, the pressure has been on, as their Daddy's work schedule has been a bit off.
That means the twins have been here, at my house, for eight mornings out of eleven.
That's 8 of 11.
The usual schedule was Friday through Sunday here, then off at Jojo's house (she's the sitter) for Monday through Thursday.
Instead, Michael's been off the last two Mondays, as well as the Fridays, giving them two four-day weekends back-to-back.
To Michael's credit, he got them out of the house a right good amount during the day...
but those mornings... ack, ack, and double ack.
So, this week, the girls were acting out on Tuesday morning, but he managed to get them up and out - at 6 AM - without disturbing me too much.
Wednesday morning, a schedule change occurred. Nana's church was having an all-day children's activity that started at 9 AM. Would I mind getting the girls up at 8 AM, so Nana (aka Venita) could pick them up?
Fine, I could do that... and I did.
I even did it cheerily, which meant I was then up for the day.
But I was able to visit with Nana while she was here and the girls had a day of fun.
(smile!)
Apparently, that was too much schedule change for the twins, though.
On Thursday morning, as well as fake crying, at full volume, they also decided to start SCREAMING at the top of their lungs in that shrill, ear-piercing way that little girls do.
At 6 AM.
Let me repeat: at 6 AM.
Michael was out warming the car for them and missed it, but he was just in time for intense quiet that followed my getting out of bed and projecting, as we teachers do, toward their closed bedroom door.
"Hey! What's going on in there?"
I swear, as soon as I said "Hey!", there was dead silence in their room.
Of course, I was far too wired to be able to go back to sleep.
Michael texted later to see if Shawna could come for dinner and I'd told him that would be "like rewarding the girls for their bad behavior" that morning. I also told him the girls would have a new bedtime of 9 PM, starting then.
I then proceeded to complain to Smitty about the girls' bad behavior, when I met with him to take care of the sales taxes.
I also complained to Kevin about the girls' bad behavior, when I met with him for our special Thursday outing.
Both were aghast that the girls were being allowed to stay up until 10:30 PM or even later.
The child psychologist was particularly concerned, saying 9 PM should be the very latest bedtime for them, as they required much more sleep than they were getting.
When I returned home on Thursday at 9:30, the twins were still up.
However, when I explained to Michael what the girls had done, he immediately put them to bed, with no movie on the tv for them that night, either.
Friday, Michael worked and they went to the sitter - hallelujah!
They went to bed when they all got home, around 9:30 - hallelujah!
I thought all was going in the right direction and was allowing myself to feel a bit of Christmas spirit.
Then, after breakfast, I went to take a shower...
and found the last chocolate dolphin had been pulled up from its place in the tub.
Alyssa and Leila were at the dining table when I bounced out of the bathroom, holding the safety decal in my hand.
"You girls knew to leave my things alone and yet what did I find? Who did this?
Alyssa ratted out her sister justthatfast.
"Leila did it," she said.
Leila said nothing.
Michael was bringing in bags from the car.
I waited for him to return, so he could bear witness.
He told me he had seen the dolphin was loose when he showered yesterday.
I told him I already knew that Leila had removed it and that Alyssa told me.
I also told the girls that I was destroying the two dolls and throwing them away, as I had said I would.
I told them that the next item of mine that was damaged would result in them leaving my house.
My house.
My rules.
Then I took my shower and waited to retrieve the dolls until after they left for a party in Guyton at Melinda and Matt's house, where, mercifully, they are staying the night.
Then, I did as I had told them two weeks ago that I would.


I destroyed the dolls and threw them into the garbage bin outside...
all except the lower right arm and hand of each.
I want Alyssa and Leila to have proof that I follow through.
(Sigh)
What an odious thing to have to do, especially at this time of year...
especially for me, when I am trying so hard to help them.
I could sure use some mothering right now...

2 comments:

faustina said...

Just a quick note.
Leila had already beheaded her doll sometime ago, so this was the second time that doll lost her head.
Neither doll was in pristine condition, as they have been dragged around and scratched at the whole time they have been in the possession by the twins.
JSYK.
They don't even have regard for their things...
but they will learn to have regard for others' stuff.
Yes, they will...
and they better learn quickly.
Only ten more Barbies - at least - to go.
Seriously.

faustina said...

I was just reminded of a post where I was forced to take action on several students who were cheating in lab.

https://beachwalksoffaustina.blogspot.com/2017/02/ecru-caustic-relentless-stirring.html

At least they were old enough, and conscientious enough, to truly apologize for their misdeeds.
I guess five-year-olds aren't quite at that stage, but I have high hopes for the twins!
Their Daddy is certainly going to make sure they go in the correct direction... hooray for Michael!