Friday, December 20, 2019

last of the 2019 sugar plum fairies

"So, does that mean your season of crackin' nuts has come to an end?"

Yes, indeed it has. For this year, at least.

"And just how many sessions of "The Nutcracker" did you volunteer for at the Lucas?"


Well, I had two matinees with the Savannah Ballet Theaatre! Those were on the 7th and 8th. Then I ushered the one matinee performance by the Madeleine Walker Coastal Ballet Theater, on the 14th. And the last matinee I worked was today, for the Moscow Ballet!


"What?! No evening performances for those shows this year?"

Not quite. Each company had one evening show, but I wasn't able to work them. You know - busy, vibrant, all that stuff! In fact, my schedule is so crazy this year that I think I'm going to miss the Charlie Brown show - drats!

"Oh, you're really going to have to try for that musical tomorrow, you know that, right? You should be able to squeak it in before the play Saturday night... sure, you can!"

I'll try, I will. But I may be having a relapse of my sinus infection, so I'm trying to give myself a bit of idle space, to not get too tired.

"Gotcha. Good health is most def important, as you'll have guests next week."

Most def.
(smile)

"So, how were those four ballets this time around?"

Well, the programs were the same designs as last year, but with new names of dancers, naturally.

"Naturally. No doubt with some rising into new roles as they've aged."

Naturally. However, the Savannah Ballet Theatre not only had a live orchestra in the pit, but they tinkered with the story line. Theirs was the only version that had Clara slaying the Mouse King. That's right! The Mouse King had killed the toy soldier, so the girl had grabbed up the sword laying at his side and charged at the Mouse King! And killed him!! All I could think was the line from "Pretty Woman" when the princess "rescues him [the prince] right back". Brava!

"Magnificent!!! Let's hear it for girl power!!!"

Woohoo!!! Yes, indeed! Let's hear it for Savannah Ballet for such a daring change!

"Amen to that! Amazingly, no one else seems to remember that, do they?"

No, they don't. I've mentioned it to several folks who I now were there, but none of them recall the variation that struck me so strongly.

"I'm not that surprised, actually. You know about witness bias, and that's operative in all aspects of life, not just about criminal activities."

Whatever. That's pretty somber when the topic is tiny dancers at Christmas time.

"Sorry, my bad. Any other remarks about nutcrackers and such?"

Well, I wanted to be sure to point out a little discrepancy in the ratio of sugar plum fairies to nutcracker ballets.

"Oh-kay. I though there was one Sugar Plum Fairy for each performance."

Yes, that would be correct, ordinarily.

"Uh huh. So, is one of the shows without its twirling fairy lass?"

Oh, no, not at all. Each performance had an en pointe dancer in sparkling, starched, tutu. However, there was an extra Sugar Plum Fairy.

"You mean one of the shows had two sugar plums a-twirl?"

No, silly rabbit! But there was a non-nutcracker show that I worked and which featured a Sugar Plum!

"Goodness gracious! And just when did that show occur?"

It was on the 15th, a Sunday, and was the one sole performance by the One Spirit Dance Academy! This year's story, "Toyland", concerned a dastardly Professor Rewind who had kidnapped all the toys from Toyland. Mr. Hasbro, Shamrock Holmes, and James Gadget were tasked to locate, and return, the missing toys in time for Christmas. Very lively tale!


"Well, that's definitely not a nutcracker story, that's for sure."

That's right! Lots of hip hop and boogie, including "Psychedelic Shack" - that was such fun for me! I remember dancing to it in high school! I think, though, that my absolute, hands-down, favorite of the show was "Carol of the Bells" as a tap-dance powerhouse - wow!!!

"That sounds incredible! I love tap dancing!!!"

I know! Me, too!
(smile!)
And I must say my greatest surprise was hearing my whistling song at the top of the second half! And there she was - the Sugar Plum Fairy, entertaining the trio of men as they made their way through the Winter Wonderland, en route to the Land of Rewind!

"Oh, my! That sounds like quite a tale!!!"

It was, too, quite entertaining, with interludes of Christmas hymns and songs during the set changes.

"Well, I'm so glad you told me about that! I'll have to keep my eye out for it next year!"

Oh, it was a one-time performance, dear, as are all of One Spirit's shows. You either pay attention and catch it, or you miss out. As I recall, last year's was about a family on a holiday trip. I remember liking it so much that I've been watching for this year's holiday special from them!

"Very nice! They had a large enough crowd to make it worth the fee to rent the Lucas?"

Hey, the downstairs became so full that Katie opened the balcony! So, yeah, I guess they did. Plus, I found out it's only $2000 to rent the place.

"Oh, is that all? Seriously, I would have expected it to be much more."

For sure. I think I'm going to check into it, see what that basic fee covers, how many hours, whether it includes security... you know, all the stuff you need to know when planning a momentous event.

"So, you're thinking to have National Chemistry Week at the Lucas next year?"

Not the whole week, of course, but perhaps a day, that first day, as we did this year for SERMACS.

"Yeah, you know Coastal Georgia would never go for that, right?"

Well, we might have to charge some token admittance... or maybe get the City of Savannah to sponsor it or provide a grant for it. After all, the City did that for Savannah Ballet, so they could have a low-sensory performance for school kids.

"Oh, that's very cool! They kept the lights on and the sound down, things of that nature?"

Yes, and allowed low-visioned and blind youths to feel the costumes and props. Quite innovative, especially for a dance company, right?

"Most definitely. Maybe someone should ask how they applied for that grant...?"

Yeah, maybe. Maybe not me, though. Maybe someone who could add that to their APARS...

"Good luck with that."

Heard!
(smile)
Now, if you'll pardon me, I need some dinner. Later!

1 comment:

faustina said...

I would have liked to take to twins to see at least one of these performances... however, the ticket prices prevented that this year.
Maybe we can do that next year, when they're a bit more mature.
Hopefully!