Wednesday, August 2, 2017

how to spend a rainy day in Kissimmee


First, wake up whenever you please. After all, it's your first day of your last summer trip, so make the most of it and enjoy every minute!

I had thought my Summer Kid Film Festival was winding down, but school hasn't started - for me - just yet. Monday, I had caught the last of my running-theme trio from ON DEMAND. That had started on Thursday, with "How To Train Your Dragon 2" - how cool to see the dragon riders of Berk again! Brought to mind a series of books about a place called Pern hat had been dear to my heart in my younger days... good memories!
Guess what? That movie had a short with it! I'm not sure of the title, but it was set prior to "HTTYD 2". The time was Snoggle Fest, but there was no joy in Berk: all of the dragons had run off, even Toothless. Oh, no! Turns out dragon eggs are explosive and the beasts hadn't wanted to set the burg on fire!

What to see next?
Well, on Friday, I stayed with the life-savers motif and viewed "Rise Of The Guardians", in which unicorns were morphed into night mares.
(Love the pun!)
That tale of Jack Frost finding his superpower
after 300 years of talking to the moon
gives me hope.
Was his superpower flying?
- No, though he could.
Was it bedecking the trees with beautiful snowflakes?
- No, though he could.
Was it putting fun into ice-cold fear?
- Exactly right!
He used humor to overcome the fear factor!
Hey... I do that, too, for my students!
I guess that makes me a Guardian, too, just like the Easter Rabbit and Sandman and St. Nick and...
"The Tooth Fairy"! Though I must say the one played by The Rock - um, I mean Dwayne Johnson - certainly was quite different. Much fun, too!
Last night, the SKFF continued with "Sister Act 2: Back In The Habit" - what a hoot! I had forgotten how much I enjoy Whoopi Goldberg - she is so very talented!
Then this morning, I caught Tim Allen in "The Shaggy Dog". I'm talking about the 2006 film, with Robert Downey, Jr., in his first role as a mad scientist. The movie was a funny shaggy dog story - no joke!
(smile)

Second, go check out the local action.
Fortunately, my quest to visit a resort that was 'new to me' had been successful! When I had arrived last night, in the rain, I had mistakenly thought I was at a renamed Orbit One. In the dark and in the rain, the entryway and its location and the look of the condos was so very similar...but it had been four years ago.
This morning, I noticed I was hearing amusement park sounds.
That was new!

And so I realized that my quest had been successful!
I had, as intended, landed upon a place I had not yet visited!
Barefoot'n Resort was located on Florida Plaza Boulevard, off US-192 and east of I-4;
its sister resort was on Entry Point Boulevard, also off US-192, but west of I-4.
Aha!

For future trips to Kissimmee, I want to try for this place again. It's right across the street, literally, from Old Town and Fun Spot America. With umbrella in hand, off I went to explore!
Guess what song greeted me as I walked toward Old Town?
Jim Croce's "Rapid Roy"!
Coincidence?
Nah, it was the Universe letting me know I was at the right place, at the right time!
(smile!)

The Great Magic Hall was right there as I entered Old Town. Of course I went in!
My visit there in 2015 led to one of my most popular posts in tripadvisor!
The man behind the counter told me the magician for tonight's "magical tour" would soon be on "Penn & Teller: Fool Us" - how very exciting!
I bought my ticket for the 9 PM show right then!

What to do with all of this
excitement building inside?
Walking it off at
Fun Spot America
sure sounded like a good idea -
so that's what I did!
Such a cool, old-fashioned place -
it reminded me of Lake Winnie.

Of course I had to send several photos
of the place to the physicist.
Given its likeness to the north Georgia
amusement park that we had visited
on our adventure in 2012,
it was only natural!
Good call!
He had fond memories, too,
of that trip early in our friendship!

I thought about buying a pass
and going on some of the rides...
as I told him I might do...
but this rollercoaster -
named for me! -
was the only ride that called to me.
I opted to enjoy the free
sights and sounds.
Very nice!

You see, one of those very sights
was a movie prop from "Road House".
Can you guess from this photo?
I speak of Bigfoot 7,
built specifically for the movie,
the beast that crushed four cars
in a scene costing half a million dollars.
Sounds like a 'Rock Star' life!
(smile)

Now, pardon me while I eat a chili dog...
that's not very conducive to typing!
I'll be back to tell you about the chocolate factory... I promise!

No comments: