Sunday, August 20, 2017

pumped up tuna and mahi


I did it again tonight.

"You talkin' to me?"

Well, you are the only one here right now.

"Fine, fine, settle down. What did you do again?"

I found myself attracted to a man and I made sure he was introduced to other women, just as I did years ago with the physicist. You know, to give him every opportunity to find someone other than me.

"Don't tell me, let me guess. You're mooning over the retired Marine who substitute teaches and sings karaoke... omG, you are, aren't you?"

Hold up there! I think "mooning over" is too strong a phrase. After all, I haven't written any poetry or raps about him and our singing session last week...

"Dearest F-grrl, you hardly even talked that evening. I mean, sure, he knows the Hodges and he has gone to Asbury with them a few times and you know about that. And you know he sang the Nat King Cole song with his wife and they were married twenty years before she died of cancer. And you know he recently broke up with someone and he doesn't drink alcohol. What else?"

Well, I know he's also been to Okinawa and Panama, just like me.

"Lord help us. That's all pretty weak and you know it."

You're right, you're bloody well right, as Supertramp would say. I acknowledge that, I do. But listen to this. The 'Born in the 50's and 60's' meetup to share Asian Cuisine with a Twist was at Tangerine Fusion. As I walk up, Karen says to me, "Mike's been asking about you and wondering where you were!" Then he came up and gave me a hug and asked if I had been at church and what a powerful message it was about forgiveness...

"I see. So you are thinking that he's been thinking about you for the past week..."

Well, you can see how I would, right? There were eight of us already there, waiting for the restaurant to open, and they are all aware that he had been waiting for me. Then, he had greeted me so warmly...

"Okay, I get it. I know how starved you are for male attention. Too bad David Burroughs was spoken for - "

Yes, it really is. He and I had so much fun together, once upon a time.
Sigh.
He already had too many women in his life, though.
I was not interested in bring part of a harem, not for him nor for anyone else.

"Okay, okay, you seem to have wandered off on a tangent, dear. Maybe back on topic? What else happened this evening with the singing man?"

Well, we had a pretty large group, thirteen women and him. We went in still talking to each other, but I sat at the opposite end of the table from him. When he sat, he'd left a seat beside him empty... but I didn't take it.
Roberta came late and she ended up taking that last seat, by the wall.


Then Jana and Robin came even later and we had to get another little table added on.
Going from wall to aisle, that's Gwen, Jackie, Stania, Lisa, Kathy, me, and Robin.


I don't know why, but the other side of the table didn't get one of those long shots.
If it had, the order would be Roberta, Mike, Karen, Marsha, Mary, Sue, and Jana.
By the way, htat last name is pronounced as if the 'J' was a 'Y'.


I had Tuna Tatake there. I brought home most of my pan-seared Mahi with Ginger Sauce. I think it will make a fine lunch tomorrow during the Solar Eclipse!
Oh, and I almost forgot: Today was Lisa's birthday! The restaurant brought her a lovely slice of cheesecake and we all sang "Happy Birthday" to her. Very nice!


"Yes, dear, that was very nice, very nice. But what about you and the lone man?"

Yes. Me and the one fellow there in this group of fourteen.
Well, here's how that all went down.
After the almost two-hour dining experience, we all headed back out to the parking lot. As we're saying our farewells, he makes sure to get a hug from me, then he heads off while I'm still talking with Jackie. As I'm heading for my car, I notice that he is in the white truck parked near mine.
And he was waving me over.
"I made something for you", he says.
And he pops the disc into his player... and it's "Pumped Up Kicks".
That was one of the songs the KJ sang. I had told Mike the origin of the song and how its perky beat was nearly impossible to not dance to, so long as you ignored the meaning of the words. And I had sung along, of course, rocking out to it.
That had apparently made an impression on him.
Now, he was rocking out to the beat and singing along...
in a truck that had his phone number emblazoned on its side...
as well as the motto and website for his business.
Of course I made a note of it: ucallwillhaul.weebly.com - of course I noted it.
I think he wanted me to... right?
But I did so on without making an obvious move to do so.
Lord knows I don't want the man to think I'm a stalker or something.

"And now what? What is your intention with this new information from his truck?"

Well, I'll give it a day or so, then look it up.
Then I'll send him an email.
That's much less confrontational than a phone call.
If he responds... well, we will see.
If not, then no harm, no foul, as they say at Savannah Tech.

"Tread lightly, dear. You know how fractured your heart has become. I know you try to hold folks at a distance to protect yourself..."

You're right again. You know, this October would have been my silver wedding anniversary.
I know I'll never have one of those!
And you know what?
I'm okay with that.
But I sure would like to think I won't be waking up alone and going to bed alone for much longer.
Speaking of the latter, I better wind on down.
Tomorrow is the first day at 'Tech, as well as the 97% Total Solar Eclipse, so it promises to be quite busy.
G'night to you!

"Sweet dreams, dear."
(smile)

No comments: