Sunday, August 20, 2017

solar eclipse advice to Dood


Dear Tony,

I had forgotten that you had said you would be allowed to have a cell phone!
That will be wonderful!

Are you excited about the eclipse tomorrow?
Please be careful and DO NOT LOOK AT THE SUN, not even when the moon is blocking it.
You know, I did that for the partial solar eclipse we had here in Savannah on May 9, 1967. I was not yet 9 years old and I had been using the pinhole viewer and looking at the image on the paper. Then I looked up - just for a peek - and ended up with two blind spots in my right eye.
Seriously.... please be careful and tell everyone else to be careful, too.
I imagine y'all will not pinhole viewers, but you can "make" one using just your hands.
Spread open your fingers on each hand, then lay one hand on top of the other, so you have triangular spaces for light to pass through.
Stand with your back to the sun - very important! Hold up your overlapped hands (or hold to the side) so the sun's light falls onto a surface.
The lighter the color of the surface, the clearer the image will be. Maybe you can have a while sheet of paper on the wall in front of you or on the ground.
ONLY LOOK AT THE PROJECTED IMAGE.
You will be able to watch as the sun's image gets covered by the moon during the whole process.
It will probably take about 45 minutes from the beginning of the moon's passing in front of it until the last part of the moon has passed away from the sun.
I believe the maximum darkness will be around 2:45 PM on Monday.
I'm sure you'll be able to tell when it's dark. :-)
Be sure to look for stars when the sky darkens.
Chances are that you'll have a better view of those than I will.
Hope you enjoy it!

with much love,
Tina

No comments: