Sunday, June 23, 2019

hitting the 200th

Before you think this has anything to do with baseball, let me set you straight.
I'm talking about movies and AMC cinemas, as I did four months ago.
I had wondered if the "Visits: 150" referred to the number of movies attended.
The answer?
A resounding "No".
It says "visits" and that is exactly what it means.
How do I know?
I can do math.
That 150th visit was eighteen weeks ago.
Tonight's trip to see "Late Night" (*1) - with Scott, Barbara, and Carolyn - resulted in a new value on my ticket receipt: "Visits: 200".
That would be an increase of fifty in that time span.
When fifty visits is divided by eighteen weeks, that works out to 2.78 visits per week.
That sounds correct.
With my A*List program, I am allowed three free movies per week.
Knowing that I am guaranteed admittance for three movies, I try to spread out my viewing pleasure over the course of seven days, limiting myself to just one movie at a time.
Sure, sometimes I'll have a 'double-header' (*2) treat, but not that often.
Surprisingly, there are some weeks when I'll see four movies (*3) - but not often.
As for "Tina Tuesday", those are dates when I'm ordering tickets for the two of us, but it only counts as the single 'visit'.
So, as I said earlier, the visit count is strictly referring to number of trips to an AMC cinema to watch a movie, naught else.

(*1) I very much enjoyed this one. Written and directed by a woman, it rang true. Barbara and Carolyn agreed with me. As for Scott? Well, being a white male has been hard during the #metoo brouhaha. As this movie dealt with a workplace full of WASPs like him, it had to be a little uncomfortable at times.
That was unfortunate.
He is one of the most open-minded, considerate, feminists I know.

(*2) My last double-header was just before I went to Florida. On the 7th of this month, I went to "All Is True", a biopic about William Shakespeare's last days. Kenneth Branagh, similar in age to the Bard at that stage of life, was marvelous as a middle-aged man in a muddle.
After, I watched "Rocketman", billed as a "musical fantasy about [Sir] Elton John". What a delicious romp it was, with Taron Egerton singing and dancing like the man himself! What an amazing performance by this 30-year-old Englishman!
Wondering if anything tied the two films together?
Amazingly, there was something - the name "Elton"!
Ben Elton wrote the screenplay for the story about Shakespeare. If his name rings a bell, albeit faintly, it's because he played the dastardly Russian landlord, Baz, on "The Young Ones", back in the early 1980's.
He's a year younger than I am and a year older than Branagh, in case you wondered.
(smile)

(*3) As rare as these occasions are, I had a four-movie week for the first week this month. On the 1st, I had an unheard-of Super Saturday with Kevin. We saw "Godzilla: King of the Monsters", in BIG D, for some seriously good foot-stomping and screeching by the Giant Lizard from Outer Space!
(smile)
The following afternoon, I returned to the cinema for the one-screening time allowed for "The Hustle". It was hilarious! I had caught Rebel Wilson and Anne Hathaway on James Corden's late-late show and promised to treat myself to this one. I'm so glad I was still playing on the silver screen!
(It was so very good that it made me want to see "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" again. As good fortune would have it, ON DEMAND granted me that request just two days later!)
The next day - the third in a row - I was again at the Classic 11. This time, it was lunch and a movie with the physicist! We opted for "Booksmart", which may be a middle-aged man's wet dream, but it didn't appeal to either of us. Fortunately, the meal at Rachael's 1190 was a good follow-up! Happy birthday60+1 to me!
(I like that they have their address included in their name. Remember 606 East?)
No more trips to the cinema until Thursday, the last day of the A*List week. Barbara and Carolyn wanted to see "Dark Phoenix", in BIG D to boot, so I went with them. We all had to pay for it, too, as we had each used up our allotment of three free films. Good thing we're all seniors! Plus, it was a much better movie than I had expected - and gave me a chance to see Nicholas Hoult again, who'll be thirty this year. RAWR!
Or should I say "R"?
(smile)

I must say, this monthly gift of movies, in the form of 3-free-weekly, has been one of the most enjoyable - and on-going - birthday presents I've ever received. What a marvelous thing for a film lover in scenic Savannah!
(Hey, that's a little inside joke! Look at my profile to "get" it.)
I'm so glad mi tres amigas are enjoying A*List benefits, too!
(smile!)

No comments: