Tuesday, June 4, 2019

n-a-v-y

And what does "n-a-v-y" mean?
"Never Again Volunteer Yourself", that's what.And what have I done?
Bing! Bing! BING!
That's right!
I've volunteered to help out with the National Chemistry Week event at SERMACS 2019!
Of course, all I've taken on is the task of lining it up with the city to occur on River Street.
That may take a bit of doing, especially to find the right person in charge of such schedules...
but, I can definitely do it.
I guess I really couldn't help taking on the role of liaison.
It seemed that everyone at these monthly planning sessions has had some task...
everyone except me, that is.
I'd started attending the meetings back in November. That may have been the first one, come to think of it. I seem to recall the divvying up of the tasks that needed to be accomplished.
I kept my hand down and volunteered for nothing.
I thought those who still had a dog in the fight should get the first chances at those birds.
(smile)
I even held off for the next few meetings.
Then, at the May 13th planning session, I heard for the second - or possibly third - time about needing someone to find out how we could reserve Rousakis Plaza for our NCW Public Outreach event.
I guess I still had a bit of enthusiasm from last year's SERMACS in Augusta.
That, coupled with my streak of altruism, led to my hand in the air and my voice saying,
"I can do that."
And I can, too.
I do well at searching out resources and lining them up with the folks who need them.
It's just another form of puzzle solving, right?
So, I thought it would be good to follow the tracks as they lead to October 20th.
Ready, Freddie?
Let's go!

------------------------- ---------------- ----------

From: Will Lynch
Date: Tue, May 14, 2019 at 10:29 AM
Subject: Outreach SERMACS 2019
To: Brianne Blevins, Faustina Smith, Horwitz, David, Will Lynch
Outreach SERMACS 2019

Greetings all - Tina Smith will be point for SERMACS 2019, outreach event. We have the OTP workshops on M morning and afternoon. As we discussed, we would also like to do a traditional outreach event on Sunday October 20 to kick off SERMACS and NCW. We were thinking about trying to secure space on the river walk down by the center of the river walk from something like 1-3 or 2-4 pm or similar. Tina is going to be talking to the riverfront association about the procedures to get a "table/booth" and the permits to carry out the event. We would like some information about easy hands on type demo's that go with the 2019 theme.
Thanks everyone. I just wanted to put everyone in contact.
--
Will E. Lynch, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry
Department Chair
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
--------------------- ---------------------

David Horwitz
5/14/2019 11:24 AM
To Will Lynch, fsmith283@comcast.net and 2 others
RE: Outreach SERMACS 2019

Will, thanks for the intro.
Hi Tina,
We’re super excited that you’re hosting an outreach event to kick off SERMACS and NCW! Our office has plenty of ideas for your metal-themed hands-on activities to celebrate the NCW 2019 theme of “Marvelous Metals.” Official NCW 2019 resources
launch on August 1, which includes the themed issue of Celebrating Chemistry, digital resources (and a totally revamped web presence) at www.acs.org/ncw, and the free promotional merchandise for NCW Coordinators.
Tina, let me and Patti know when you’re ready to start planning hands-on activities and we’ll come up with a list of suggestions for you.

Best,
David
David C. Horwitz, M.A.
Program Manager | Office of Science Outreach
-------------------- -------------------

Patricia Galvan
5/14/2019 11:36 AM
To David Horwitz, Will Lynch and 2 others
RE: Outreach SERMACS 2019

Hi Will and Tina,
This is very exciting! I am happy to hear that you are planning to launch SERMACS with hands-on activities for the public. I am happy that the theme for NCW is metals and not paper, as it was for CCEW. Metals are much less likely to blow around.
I’ll start thinking about suitable activity ideas.

Best Regards,
Patti
Patricia M. Galvan
Program Manager | Office of Science Outreach
------------------ -----------------------

FAUSTINA SMITH
5/21/2019 3:04 AM
To Victoria Smith
National Chemistry Week demo for October 20th

Hi, Victoria!
Thank you for responding to my request on Facebook.
As I mentioned there, I represent the Coastal Empire section of the American Chemical Society. This fall, we are hosting the South East Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, aka SERMACS 2019.
The website for our conference is here: https://www.sermacs2019.org/ .
The four-day conference will be held at the Savannah Riverfront Marriott, beginning on Sunday, October 20, 2019. That date is also the first day of National Chemistry Week.
We would like to hold a community outreach event on that Sunday afternoon, at Rousakis Plaza, if possible.
How would we arrange to do so? We will have plenty of personnel to perform the demonstrations. Do we need a permit for our event? Is the Plaza available for that date and time?
Is there a cost involved?
I look forward to talking to you about our event!
Sincerely,
Faustina Smith
---------------- -------------------------

FAUSTINA SMITH
5/21/2019 5:06 PM
To Patti Galvan, David Horwitz, Will Lynch
contact has been made!

Hi to all!
I have heard back from Victoria Smith with the Savannah Waterfront Association. She is covered over right now with the Memorial Day Weekend proceedings scheduled for River Street. She will be in touch with me next week to answer questions and hopefully start us on our way. The good news is that OctoberFest is two weeks earlier than the time we are wanting.
I will keep you informed as I know more.
Also, When I checked the ACS site for NCW news, I saw that August 1 is given for the release of that information. Doesn't that seem a little tight for planning purposes?
I'll pass along more news as I get it.

Tina Smith
------------------- -----------------------
*
*
*
Then a birthday/Memorial Day hiatus! For me, for them, for everyone!
*
*
*
------------------------------------ ----------------

FAUSTINA SMITH
6/2/2019 11:51 PM
To Victoria Smith
Chemistry Week demo in October

Hi, Victoria!
Wasn't Memorial Day weekend a blast?
Now that it's done, and before the 4th of July takes over, I'm hoping we can discuss our October plans.
Specifically, of course, I am only interested in one day: Sunday, October 20th, 2019.
That date is the first day of National Chemistry Week and also our regional conference, SERMACS. The meeting is hosted by the Coastal Empire section of the American Chemical Society, which I represent.
The website for our conference is here: https://www.sermacs2019.org/
Visit Savannah has a link on our site to encourage our participants to partake of all that this fine seaport has to offer.
We want to further encourage the local citizens and visitors to partake of our conference - and chemistry - via a public demonstration on River Street. A central location, such as that of the Rousakis Plaza, would be ideal for an afternoon event of two hours or so.
How do we arrange to have that location for our demonstration?
What type of event insurance will we need for this NCW demonstration?
Will we need a permit from the city or county or both?
I do appreciate your help so much!

Sincerely,
Faustina Smith
------------------- ------------------------

FAUSTINA SMITH
6/3/2019 12:32 AM
To Patricia Galvan
Outreach SERMACS 2019

Hi, Patti!
I have been exploring the previous issues of "Celebrating Chemistry" to try to start thinking
about the demonstration we will be performing here in Savannah on October 20th.
Our demonstration will, hopefully, occur in open air at a central location on River Street.
Therefore, we definitely need to be mindful of containment, but also a demonstration that will
capture the interest and imagination of the public.
So... I am open to suggestions!
As the theme of NCW this year is to be 'metals', and our conference theme is 'chemistry on the
coast', sunscreen is certainly of interest to the public. Also, the effect of the sun and weather
on paints and dyes is a concern.
I'm curious about the upcoming "Celebrating Chemistry" issue and the experiments within its pages.
Do you have any information on that?
I know it seems that we have a long time to work on this, but I've always been one to finish a
project before the deadline, not on it. Much less stress!
Hope to hear from you soon!
Tina
---------------- ----------------------

Victoria Smith
6/3/2019 10:52 AM
To FAUSTINA SMITH
RE: Chemistry Week demo in October

Hi there,
I have a meeting with the city on Thursday. I will discuss this with them and get back
to you. Can you please send me Visit Savannah's link?

Thank you.
Victoria

Victoria Freeman Smith
Executive Director
Savannah Waterfront Association
------------------- -------------------------

Patricia Galvan
6/3/2019 12:59 PM
To FAUSTINA SMITH
RE: Outreach SERMACS 2019

Hi Tina,
I am looking for activity ideas from our current collection of hands-on activities.
The Secret Science of Braces is fun, but isn’t a hands-on activity.
So far, I have a few ideas:
· Eddy tubes
Drop metal nuts or neodymium magnets down PVC and copper tubes. The magnets in the copper
tubes are interesting because electricity is generated creating a magnetic field which
causes the magnet to fall slowly down the tube.
· Instant Foot warmers
I have plenty that I can donate for this. It’s iron filings, salt, and oxygen!
MREs work similarly, and so this is a nice connection for those affiliated with
Hunter Army Airfield or the military.
· UV beads
We can coat a zip-bag in a broad spectrum sunscreen and another in plain lotion to
compare, however, I find this very messy. I prefer to “test” peoples glasses and sunglasses
for a UV coating, by placing beads in their hand and covering with the glasses
I will look at the activities being written for NCW. Drafts of the articles and activities
have already been submitted, so I will be able to get my hands on these for additional
ideas related to the theme.

Best,
Patti
-------------- --------------------------

FAUSTINA SMITH
6/3/2019 1:05 PM
To Victoria Smith
RE: Chemistry Week demo in October

Victoria,
Here is the link for our conference:
https://www.sermacs2019.org/

On the right side of that webpage, Visit Savannah has link which leads here:
https://www.visitsavannah.com/meetings/show-us-your-badge

The conference will be held at Savannah Marriott Riverfront:
https://www.sermacs2019.org/accomodations

Thanks for taking this to your upcoming meeting with the city!
Would it be helpful for me to be there?

Faustina
------------------ ---------------------------
*
*
*
She had replied that my presence was not needed there.
Now, I'm going into a holding pattern.
I have a trip to the Charleston VA hospital tomorrow, so I'm shelving this until after that.
*
*
*

1 comment:

faustina said...

"Ready, Freddie?
Let's go!"

Did you catch that little reference to "Ballroom Blitz"?
I had meant to draw a bit of attention to it, but I was too involved with the task at hand.
(smile!)