Saturday, January 29, 2022

almost like trick or treating!

Just what might I mean by that?
Oh, c'mon, think about it a second.
What happens when you're out on Halloween?
Let me tell you!
You're dressed up, going from house to house, gathering into your little bright bag whatever kinds of treats that are being handed out, that's what happens!
The little old lady in the brick house might be handing out freshly made brownies, whereas the young couple in the little two-story is serving up Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, while the math teacher in the house with blue shutters is giving away little metric rulers.
Catch my drift?
Now, I'm not going to say that I was dressed up or in a costume, but I certainly did visit some pretty different venues and received some pretty amazing delights!
And all in the course of one week.
The first was a week ago Saturday.
"An Evening With SAAM" was to have been live, a joint venture between Savannah VOICE and the Savannah African American Museum, a precursor for Black Heritage Month.
Instead, due to COVID at the Milnes' home, the event was still live, but served up via VIMEO.
That was fortunate for me!
I'm so glad I was able to 'be' there for it!
This is one of the scenes from the home of Maria (far left) and Sherrill, shared with Chad Sonka and Sarah Zoe Budnik, all exposed to the pandemic virus, all sequestered together, all still singing opera!
Now, switch focus to downtown for a night at the museum.
That's a warrior princess astride that horse in the window!
What an incredible tale was woven from the thin gossamer of evening air to tell of this strong-willed woman who insisted that her father allow her to wed for love, not political benefit...
ah, yes, to wed for love!
And so she had, marrying the man who made her heart sing, bearing him a son who became the ruler of Burkina Faso.
And I had thought to myself: Fliss, Nerdfighter of Kiva, knows a little something about that African country!
(smile!)

The second batch of goodies was courtesy of AARP's Movies For Grownups, on Eventbrite.
Thanks, Sandy, for the word up about "Being The Ricardos"!
The movie had a moment that had me in tears, when Desi had helped Lucy save face with the Commie issue, but all she saw was another instance of his philandering.
How heartbreaking!
But the panel discussion at the end was certainly the star of the Thursday night event.
 
The third treat, on LIVENow tonight, had both a live concert as well as a film - how about that?
Unlike the other two events, it would have cost me $15, but I was able to be part of the "ONEUS 1st ever livestream", as well as the "Behind The Scenes" video of the K-Pop group, for free, courtesy of the xfinity rewards program, Diamond level.
Woot woot!
The photo was taken during the video portion, with the boys riffing on what they would do if each could switch
identities with one of the other members - very funny stuff, mostly with the switched fellow having to buy dinner for the rest of them!
This photo was taken during "Luna", their favorite song, and, apparently, the favorite song of their fans.
I can certainly understand why - combining artistic fan dancing and luminous set pieces, "Luna" was my favorite, too, even though I can't speak Korean.
That said, my absolute favorite part of the ninety-minute performance was after the six young men had introduced themselves.
That's when they sat on tall stools, in front of two video screens, and shared pictures and memories from their childhoods.
English subtitles allowed me to share those sweet stories, as well as the joshing from the band mates about their haircuts or favorite toys - what a fabulous way to allow their fans, plus strangers like me, to know them a little better!
That makes this a very nice Halloween type of outing, with my little bucket filled to the brim, with some favorite delights, as well as a few tasty morsels I've never yet tried!
(smile!)

No comments: