Saturday, January 22, 2022

rx2: meat loaf aday

No, this isn't Meat Loaf, or even meatloaf, whether made by my own hand or fashioned by someone else's.
That's the last two slices of Margherita Pizza - first baked on Wednesday, when I forced it to become three meals instead of the one big meal I usually do with it.
So, that first meal was a breakfast, the one on Friday was a late lunch, and this final serving is to break my fast after 11 hours of sleep.
(Yes, that number is correct; I've had much insomnia this week.)
As for the cantaloupe, what's shown is the last of that, too, and quite probably the last of the melon craving I've had since my trip to Florida.
Hey, I'm just glad to see these leftovers have finally made it out of the fridge!
I've made another batch of pinto beans from dried and the room is definitely needed.
What's on my agenda on this freezing day?
Well, I am certainly not going outside.
I made the mistake of bouncing onto fb to update my profile pic and found even more family and friends with COVID.
No, thanks, I can entertain me just fine.
Besides listening to music, catching up on the latest "Smithsonian" magazine, and bummin' 'round on this beach, there's the video world, courtesy of Comcast.
Of course, any movies to be watched will have to appear for free on television.
No worries, there, as I have plenty available, even with my limited basic subscription.
(smile)
Speaking of music, for today I've selected a song that first appeared on my radar in 1981, while I was in Okinawa.
Jim Steinman had released "Bad For Good" and I'd snapped it up at the commissary.
The songs had been written for Meat Loaf to sing, but his throat was not cooperative at the time, so the writer had taken it upon himself to take it on.
Now, I must say that I love that album, and love the lyrics on the songs, but Jim doesn't have the requisite three-octave range to really do them justice... but I just about wore the grooves off that record anyway.
(smile!)
Now, fast forward a dozen years to 1993: "Bat Out Of Hell: Return To Hell" was released, a sweet-16 followup to the first collaboration between the man with the golden pen and the man with the golden voice.
Fortunately for me, I finally was able to hear some of those "Bad For Good" tunes in the style for which they'd been written!
One of those favorites is "Lost Boys And Golden Girls"... and here it is.
This is how it sounded on the Steinman album; and this is performed by Meat Loaf.
I like both, for different reasons.
(smile)
 
*****
Lost Boys And Golden Girls

Lost boys and golden girls
Down on the corner and all around the world
Lost boys (boys)
and golden girls (girls)
Down on the corner and all around
all around the world

It doesn't matter where they're going
Or wherever they've been
'Cause they got one thing in common
it's true
They'll never let a night like tonight go to waste
and let me tell you something
Neither will you (neither will you)
Neither will you

We gotta be fast
We were born out of time
Born out of time
and alone
And we'll never be as young as we are
right now
Running away
and running for home
Running
for
home

It doesn't matter where they're going
Or wherever they've been
'Cause they got one thing in common
it's true
They'll never let a night like tonight go to waste
and let me tell you something
Neither will you
Neither will you
Neither will you

Lost boys and golden girls
Down on the corner and all around the world
Lost boys (boys)
and golden girls (girls)
Down on the corner and all around
all around the world

No comments: