Saturday, January 15, 2022

vampires of a different ilk, but still vampires

Early last Friday morning, I'd been catching up on fb and come upon this treat, courtesy of Patrick Young, formerly of Java Flicks Savannah.
"Hello, is Danny Boy there?"
The young man answering replies, "Could I ask who's calling?"
I'd laughed out loud at the images and dialogue, then thanked that long-distance friend for letting me know it was time to leave that space on a high note.
Trust me, that's a pun!
Of course, anyone as familiar with the Irish song as I am would certainly know that.
"Oh, Danny boy, 
the pipes, 
the pipes are calling."
Funny, nach bhfuil sé?
 
Two days later, I was traipsing around in that locale again before bedtime.
Brooke MacArthur was the one who left me laughing this time.
First, though, get a mental image of a Mormon or Jehovah's Witness on your porch, knocking on the door and standing right there as they converse.
 
them: "Hello, do you have a minute to talk about Dracula?"
you: "No - wait, did you say Dracula?"
them: "Yes!"
you: "You're vampires?"
them: "Yes. We have pamphlets."
you: "Vampires have missionaries?"
them: "Where else would new vampires come from?"
you: "I assumed you bit people."
them: "There are many hurtful stereotypes. May we come in?"
 
Like I said, that one had me laughing out loud!
Who, in this day and age, with the plethora of fantasy and horror movies out there, wouldn't know to never invite a vampire into their abode?
Funny, nu-i așa?
 
Then, yesterday afternoon, I received a phone call.
Of course, I did not answer, having been burned badly last year, when I'd answered for a number I did not know and got dragged straight into hell.
Honestly, I'm still recovering from that emotional hit, as well as the financial loss.
So, my policy now is to not answer calls from unrecognized numbers.
That's why, when Jerry Valdoz called from 408-693-4396, I let it ring.
He left a message, claiming to have interest in helping me market my newly patented invention, and requested I call back at 408-559-5000.
Why wouldn't he ask me to call back the same number?
That sent up a red flag to me.
When I checked, that number he'd used to place the call was from a cell phone in Fairfield, California; perhaps that's his personal phone, I thought.
The location had me wondering if maybe my friends out west had referred me to him.
Wouldn't that be lovely?!
So, I checked the second number, and that was, indeed, listed for the business Patents2Market, in San Jose, California.
That was definitely promising... until I went in search of the website.
It didn't exist.
Even worse, the 'business' was listed as "probable scam" on two business review sites.
Damn.
Damn.
Damn.
I was heartbroken that someone would try to steal money from me like this.
I'm trying to help students - blind students, at that - learn chemistry, and this creep wants to call and try to rip me off?
I sat and wept, then wept some more, still sobbing when my first niece texted.

her: "I miss hanging out. I am off next week."
me: "I miss you, too. I am off next week, too.  :-)"
me: "Oh, but i work with Smitty Tuesday afternoon, starting about 2 PM."
her: " I am busy Tuesday. 3 appointments..."
me: "Was in tears earlier. Had a call from a company wanting to market my periodic table. Turns out it was a scam."
me: "Really disappointing that so many scam artists are out there."
her: "So sorry. I hate it."
her: "You don't deserve that nonsense."
me: "Me, too. Just broke my heart."
her: "Love you! In case you forget you are awesome loved and one of my favorite people in the whole wide world."
me: "Thank you, dearest niece. <3"

Then our textversation turned to the girls being out of school all of next week (while their schools are sanitized professionally to address the latest crush of COVID cases), then she checked on me again when a repeat of "The Wall" came on (and we 'spoke' of dinner menus for tonight).
I so love that girl.
Strike that.
I so love the young woman she has become.
Yes, most def.

No comments: