Monday, January 24, 2022

rx4: meat loaf aday

After a weekend at home, I had promised myself a trip out of the house today.
As it's a Monday and most everyone else will be at work, I have free reign at the stores and cinemas.
First stop was at the Publix on Wilmington Island.
Major score!
Not only did they again have the Kraft Fat-free Shredded Cheddar that I love (and that the stores in town have not had for over a month), but they also 'rewarded' me five bucks!
I used that discount on a sushi tray and headed out to Greenwich.
Where better to enjoy a quiet meal?
See my luncheon atop the family headstone?
I usually sit there for these repasts, but it was far too chilly to be in the shade today, so I sat across the aisle on a marble slab that had been soaking up sun for a while.
I then spent about twenty minutes picking up shredded flowers that must have been caught by the mowers.
I had noticed the mess on my last visit and had a plastic bag to collect the trash.
Mama definitely approved!
Next time, I'll have to bring some flowers or something for the two vases.
I then went to visit Jean Marie.
April 22nd will make five years since she took her life.
How can I remember that date so well?
It was the day after her 31st birthday.
This sunny afternoon, I cleared off the dragonfly paver that I'd brought to mark her spot.
Casting about for something bright to help her stand out, I spotted this bunch of pink azaleas in flowers discarded by another visitor to this area of Bonaventure.
What a lovely spring addition they make, don't they?
As they are 'permanent' flowers, I won't even need to be concerned about watering them.
(smile)
I was off to the cinema then, to catch "The Rising Tiger", one of two new movies this week.
And what caught my attention as I got out my car?
A bright, copper messenger, dated 2014.
Right place, right time.
That was good to see.
(smile)
During these continuing days of pandemic, I feel more and more that I'm all revved up with no place to go.
That's why, on these occasions when I do leave home, I make sure to take care of several errands on each trip - it makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something.
Jim Steinman wrote a song about that feeling, and, of course, Meat Loaf sang it.
It's on the first side of "Bat Out Of Hell" and is one of my favorites, one that I've even ventured to do a few times in karaoke.
I sure do miss that activity.

*****
All Revved Up With No Place To Go

I was nothing but a lonely boy
looking for something new
You were nothing but a lonely girl
But you were something
something like a dream come true

I was a varsity tackle
and a hell of a block
When I played my guitar
I made the canyons rock -
but -
Every Saturday night
I felt the fever grow
You know what it's like
All revved up with no place to go
You know what it's like
All revved up with no place to go

In the middle of a steaming night
I'm tossing in my sleep
And in the middle of a red-eyed dream
I see you coming
coming on to give it to me

I was out on the prowl
down to the edge of the track
And like a son of a jackal
I'm the leader of the pack -
but -
Every Saturday night
I felt the fever grow
You know what it's like
All revved up with no place to go
You know what it's like
All revved up with no place to go

Oh, Baby, I'm a hunter
in the dark of the night
I've been stalking you and tracking you down
Cruising up and down the main drag
all night long
We could be standing at the top of the world
instead of sinking further down in the mud
You and me
round about midnight
You and me
round about midnight
Someone's got to draw first
Draw first
Someone's got to draw first blood
Someone's got to draw first blood
Oooh I got to draw first blood
Oooh I got to draw first blood

I was out on the prowl
down to the edge of the track
And like a son of a jackal
I'm the leader of the pack -
but -
Every Saturday night
I felt the fever grow
You know what it's like
All revved up with no place to go
You know what it's like
All revved up with no place to go

I was nothing but a lonely all-American boy
looking out for something to do
And you were nothing but a lonely all-American girl
but you were something like a dream come true
I was a varsity tackle and a hell of a block
When I played my guitar I made the canyons rock
but every Saturday night I felt the fever grow
All revved up with no place to go

All revved up with no place to go

All revved up with no place to go

All revved up with no place to go

All revved up with no place to go

No comments: