Saturday, April 22, 2017

black belts, musubi, and ramen for all!


What glorious time I have had!
Last night, I attended the opening ceremonies for the 21st Savannah Asian Festival! Barbara was to my left and John Suchower was on my right as we enjoyed the Japanese drummers and the Polynesian dancers and the Chinese flute player and the martial arts demonstration!
Amazing!
Today, I've been running solo for the festivities on the Armstrong campus... if you can call it solo while in the midst of crowds in the International Garden and crowds on the Burnett lawn and crowds in the food lines.
(smile)
So many countries were represented at the Flag Parade! I counted at least 23, possibly as many as 25!


But this particular bit was an unexpected treat!
See the woman in the tan pants?
She is about to show her prowess in the martial arts by breaking a wooden board.
Success!


I just had to go and congratulate her afterward!
It was President Bleicken!
Actually, she is soon to become simply Linda, as she is retiring after this semester.
I sure am going to miss her steady hand on the tiller!


This is another of the photographable highlights for me: musubi!
Well, close enough for me!
The Japanese restaurant, Sushi Zen, calls their version O-Nigiri and they make it with grilled salmon or chicken as the meat, but it is still a hand-held, delectable treat!
Now that I know where they are, I look forward to having them again soon. Maybe when the physicist returns this summer, he and I can dine on musubi...
that would be quite fine!
What did I enjoy that wasn't able to be photographed?
Well, how about me learning Tai Chi from a 72-year-old expert with nine black belts?
And how about me dancing along with the Japanese drummers?
And then there was me learning some Bollywood dance moves, too!
(smile!)
What a glorious day this has been... and I even managed to write the tests I needed for my Chem1152 and Chem1211 classes on Monday and Tuesday.
As they would say in Japan, Kireina!
Or would you prefer the Chinese, Měilì!
Perhaps the Hindi, sundar!
In any language, it's been a beautiful day and I have been blessed to spend much of it outdoors on this Earth Day, celebrating the diversity of the world with music, food, and dance from so many different countries.

i thank You, God!

Now, I'm off to join Barbara for a CinemaSavannah screening, "Neruda".
Later!

2 comments:

faustina said...

I just realized that I never mentioned the noodles!
A company was giving away free samples of three of their Ramen soups to anyone who wanted them.
I took the samples for me, then I returned for more samples... for Nami. She has recently returned from visiting her brother in South Korea and had brought a little treat for me.
I just wanted to let her know I was thinking of her as I enjoyed Asian culture today.
I gave the soups to her two weeks ago...
She was so pleased that I had thought of her!
(smile)

Linda Bleicken said...

Linda Bleicken

May 9 (9 days ago)

to me
Faustina,

I am grateful for the photos you sent.

Thanks,
Linda