Monday, April 24, 2017

tallying up the time


Hey, Dood!
Last week, I gave my last lectures of the semester to both of my lecture classes! Hooray!
Next week, I will give them their last lecture exams.
The following week is Final Exams.
Hooray!
Soon, I will have no more grading of lab papers!
I do so dislike grading lab papers. They take up so much of my time, as we perform a minimum of ten labs (at Armstrong, it's a total of eleven labs). So, that's grading a lab data sheet, a pre-lab quiz or assignment, and a post-lab report for each student for each lab.
Whew.
I have 22 students in one lab at Armstrong, 20 students in another lab there, and 10 students in the Savannah Tech lab class.
If you conservatively figure ten minutes per student per lab, then the Savannah Tech group alone requires a minimum of ONE THOUSAND extra minutes of my time... and that doesn't include the 150 minutes for the performance of the lab each week for fifteen weeks.
The real shame is I don't get paid one cent for all that grading time.
Not at Savannah Tech, not at Armstrong. In fact, when you factor in the time I spend not only grading lab papers, but also writing and grading lab tests and lab final exams, I make just over twenty bucks an hour.
That's because I'm an adjunct.
Well, the department at Armstrong had a posting for a "Limited Term Instructor" and I applied for it two weeks ago.
Please say a little prayer for me!
Well, it's late and tomorrow - I mean, today - will be dawning in a few hours. Guess I better get to sleep!
love you!
Tina

No comments: