Wednesday, April 12, 2017

28th smf, final views


The 26th Savannah Music Festival was the first one I served as a volunteer. I initially had only a handful of events, but I would check the listings every few days for changes as folks dropped out of shows they'd signed up to work. I ended up having six noon30 concerts, two days of opera, and twelve concerts, with two of those being double-shifts. Whew!

For the 27th Savannah Music Festival, I had again volunteered for only a handful of shows prior to its beginning. By the end of its run, I had worked a total of eleven concerts, with two being double-shifts.

This year, for the 28th Savannah Music Festival, I did not have any double-shifts. No one did. Those were not offered.
I also did not have any noon30 concerts this time around. Sadly, my schedule had not permitted that.
I worked a new venue for me, the Johnny Mercer Theatre at the Savannah Civic Center. (Doubtful I will do so again. Far too much alcohol being imbibed by others to make it much fun for me.)
I also worked two new types of events.
One was "Hospitality Monitoring", which I rather enjoyed. I was able to casually interact with the band members, without interfering with their practice session. I also got a lot of grading done and had a free lunch!
The other was standing guard for the Swing Central Jazz Competition. I had hoped to be able to enjoy some music from these high school students, as I had last year at the finale. I was incorrect. The function of Bill and I was to prevent anyone from entering the auditorium of the Lucas during the three-song set of each competing band.
I doubt I will ever do that again... but maybe I will.
No drunks to wrangle.
(smile)
By the time the music festival wound to a close on Saturday night, I was volunteering at my twelfth event.
Bruce Hornsby's concert was actually the thirteenth, though, that I had attended.
(smile)
There had been one event, that very first Saturday, that I had been very excited about. It had a favorite band from the 26th SMF, a Ukranian quartet, providing the music to a silent film from one of their countrymen. As I was not fortunate enough to gain "free" entry by being selected to be on its list of volunteers, I actually purchased a ticket.
Gasp!!!
Well worth it, too.
(smile)

I do hope my teaching schedule - or whatever work I am doing - will allow me the time to continue with these volunteer shifts. I have so enjoyed being introduced to music that I know I otherwise would not have heard.
i thank You, God, for these opportunities!

No comments: