Thursday, September 27, 2018

l'art de Monet est de retour

Yes, yes, I was at the Jepson...
yes, yes, I was visiting "Swarm"...
and yes, yes, for the fourth -
or maybe the fifth day in a row,
I had my legs "hangin' out"
of my peachy-keen skort!
At least I had gone to a different venue downtown!
(smile!)
I was there two hours before the talk for the new exhibit, "Monet To Matisse: Masterworks of French Impressionism".
I wanted plenty of time to explore the works beforehand.
One of my favorites was "Peasant Girl Among Tulips", mostly because I found this 1890 piece to best represent that style of painting.
Beautiful colors, too!
"The Little Maure Mountains" was another favorite today, though it was painted using just the tip of the paintbrush to leave dots of color.
Aptly, the style was dubbed pointillé by the art critics of the day.
What a tedious style to use, especially for an aging artist with rheumatism!
No wonder he died the next year.
This piece, with its broad brushstrokes and heavy paint, seemed to be the odd one out.
Titled "Pot of Anemones", the 43-year-old artist was part of a group termed "Fauves" - "wild beasts" -
by the critics, for their bold style and use of color.
This certainly got my attention!
And look!
Elvis was even at the Jepson!
No, not as part of that exhibit!
"The Official Elvis Prayer Rug" was on the second floor, with an intent to lure me to Cornelia, Georgia.
That's where the Loudermilk Boarding House & Everything Elvis Museum calls home, boasting over 30,000 items.
Road trip, anyone?
(smile!)
For now, though, a little tripping of the light fantastic would have to do!
This kind gentleman, who has been playing the accordion since he was only a lad of seven years, very nicely graced me with "La Vie En Rose".
I, in turn, graced him with a bit of twirling in my dance!
Such a good trade of talents!
I'll look forward to more at the reception!
(smile!)
First, though, is the talk next door at the TUMC by Kevin Sharp.
He's the man who curated this 30-piece collection at the Dixon Gallery & Gardens, from which the Telfair has borrowed it.
How appropriate that he will discuss the Impressionism Revolution was discussed in this building that dates back to that movement's time!
As a fan of Monet, I'm going to love this... and leave off with my writing, right now.
Later!

No comments: