Friday, September 7, 2018

w-a-g-?


Well, this was just too much of a coincidence for me to ignore.
It seriously stopped me in my tracks.
The clue for 1-Across had been something I now lack: wage.
The clue for 1-Down had referred to a tail action for this Chinese year's animal: wags.
Now look at those two words.
One little letter made all the difference in meaning.
That's a reminder that one little action can make a difference in someone's world.

The last Weight Watchers meeting I attended had focused on being grateful.
(Yes, that was two weeks ago, but then I went to Florida.)
On Labor Day, I decided to do the work of actually reading the booklet I'd received on 22 August.
"Practice Gratitude", it read on the cover, "how appreciating the good things in your life can help you on your journey".
That resonated with me.
I've noticed a darkness in the offing and realize a wall of gratitude is just the thing to help keep it at bay.
No time like the present, I thought, to get started on building my fortress!

First, I had to think of three good things that had happened to me in the last 24 hours.
Second, I had to write down each good thing and describe it.
Third, I had to write down how I felt during and after each good thing.

Here's what I wrote on Monday:
1. I arrived safely back home from FL.
***** Relief! Tired, but satisfied
2. My backyard was mowed by my brother Smitty while I was gone.
***** Happy and surprised and loved!
3. I slept in my own bed last night.
***** content and reassured

On Wednesday, I assessed my life again for good things:
1. My favorite mailman brought all my held mail to me!
***** relief! happy!
2. More than 15 fb friends have "liked" my pirate stance and grimace.
***** delight! loved!
3. Carolyn went to "Operation Finale" with me, even though she had already seen it.
***** loved, content

This morning, I again checked for the blessings I'd received:
1. I had a stocker at Publix follow me around until he worked up the courage to tell me I had a beautiful smile, because of my dimples.
***** delighted! touched! younger!
2. The DISH guy, Joe Day, for Tony & Laura's installation was a former sailor with the USN, with 7 years in and time in Okinawa, too!
***** connected! not alone!
3. The patchwork-winged dragonflies I so admire around my lantana each year were up on the screen at the Naturalist 101 talk last night at 100 Miles.
***** happy! reassured! connected to the world!

This has been wonderful for my attitude!
I think this is some exercise I will definitely enjoy!
(smile)
i thank You, God, for the bright lights of stars in the darkness...
may i remember they are present even on cloudy night and sunlit days.

No comments: