Friday, September 14, 2018

Bev


My outlaw Bunny just sent me a text: her mom has died.
Beverly Lockamy had been one who helped me stay sane this past decade.
She was "my stepbrother's ex-wife's mom" or "my former sister-in-law's mom", both of which pleased her. It made people crinkle up their brow to figure it out.
(smile)
Like me, Bev was a night owl, up until the wee hours of the morning.
I could call her, or she me, any time for a conversation, and we often did.
Sometimes we would talk about others in the family. Many times, she'd get the latest scoop from my entertainment world of plays and movies and tv shows. We'd talk about my travels, too, and life at school, and my new friends.
She helped put things into perspective, you know?
Older and wiser for sure was she, as Yoda would say.
(smile)
She would have gotten a kick out of that.
Funny emails regularly arrived to my computer.
Jokes about engineers! Jokes that featured religion! Jokes about blondes! Jokes about being absent-minded! A longtime favorite joke about a panda!
Then there was the calendar that combined seniors and movies! I loved that one!
What a great sense of humor!
We kept the ether humming, we really did.
(smile)

Sometimes we would even meet in person and have lunch, instead of just touching base via airwaves of one type or another.
The photo above was from our last luncheon, back in December. Bunny had let me know they'd be in town, so we'd all met and had a wonderful visit!
I'm so glad I took those two photos of Bev.
I much prefer to remember her this way, smiling and happy.
Thank you, Bunny, for notifying me last week that cancer had laid siege and won its battle with this strong woman.
Thank you for helping me find a time to come and see Bev for one last conversation.
Being able to talk to Bev for that hour meant so much to me.

i thank You, God, for Bev in my life for so long.

No comments: