Saturday, September 22, 2018

200002

My odometer ticked over to 200002, a palindromic mileage to reassure me:
right place, right time.
I was on my way to Bev's funeral in Ebenezer, at the Jerusalem Lutheran Church.

I couldn't find anyone who could tell me about the
swan motif at the church.
This was the entrance by the pastor's office.
The swan was also at other entrances to the building
adjacent to the church.
Perhaps those were added as the church expanded from
its 1733 structure to accommodate more members.
I know Bev loved that place.
And all of us gathered there today had loved Bev.
Family and friends from all over the country had made time to be there in remembrance of her.
That included my stepsister Jean and her husband, John.
My stepsister Susan was there, too, and she had brought Grayson and Brooklynn, Jean Marie's children - what a treat for me!
Susan's son, Stephen, was there, too, with his Sarah,
but not with the children (Mason and Blakely).
Bunny and Steve were there, of course, as well as Jason and Hannah, down from Atlanta.
Emily and Boone - and many in his family - were in from Louisville, with their dear daughter, Ally - another treat for me!
We had a lovely time catching up with each other's lives - job changes, school activities, new homes.
That is one of the benefits of these somber occasions.
Another benefit is hearing stories that you had not known before, stories of the deceased as a much younger person, stories that occurred a couple of generations ago.
(smile)
Perhaps even a story that might have been true,
but might not have been just as easily.
This photo, of young Bev and Jack, Bunny's parents,
on a trip to Hawaii, inspired once such tale.
"Can't you just hear her now, telling him to stop
making eyes at that hula girl?"
Honestly, I do believe I could!
And, as he died in January this year, there is
no one to say otherwise.

It's good to leave on a high note...

i thank You, God.

No comments: