Saturday, April 1, 2017

of unicorns, superman, and rock music!



i thank You, God, for this incredible day!
I started the day - and finished it, too - at the Civic Center for the Savannah Music Festival.
This is my first year of volunteering at that venue for concerts... what a challenge!
I've now served as usher there twice... and will probably not do so next year. Far too many drunks for me.
The artists have been fabulous, with excellent music for dancing and folks on their feet dancing with me...
that part has been wonderful!
My first time was on March 23rd, opening night of the Savannah Music Festival, for The Avett Brothers. I had not heard them before, but lots of others are big fans, including my nephew Stephen. He says they give him "hope for the future of rock music".
They were here for their "True Sadness" album tour. Here's the title track!
"Is she not more than the curve of her hips /
Is she not more than the shine on her lips /
Does she not dream to sing /
and to live /
and to dance down her own path /
without being torn apart /
does she not have a heart?
"
These lyrics truly speak to me, just like those of Keb' Mo' do. (Thanks, guys, for "getting" it!)

Back to today's events!
I was at the civic center to work a new type of volunteer position, created just this year: "Hospitality Assistant".
As it turns out, I was to monitor the luncheon for Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit.
For four hours, I was there to make sure the food stayed plentiful and to allow the fellows to have time for themselves.
That's all I had to do for them...
so I graded lab papers for me!
I had been told to "bring a book or magazine", but was allowed to bring "homework" instead.
Woohoo!
I sat outside the Green Room, but not looking in, so allow them privacy.
After my shift, Tony Clarke (former drummer extraordinaire of Eat Mo' Music, now keeping the beat for the SMF) allowed me to partake of the food.
What a nice bonus - free lunch! I had three helpings of the sauteed vegetables!!!
Then, out into the sunshine...
back to my prime parking space...
with several hours on my hands until my evening shift at the concert.
Determined to allow my car to stay put, I opted for art...
Good call!
The Jepson still had the Nick Cave art exhibit and I wanted to go! He's not simply a visual artist, he is also a performance artist, designing his Soundsuits for him - or anyone - to wear. He's my age, an avid recycler and repurposer, as well as Southern-born and raised, like me. And, like me, believes acceptance of others begins with looking deeper than skin level. Hence, he created his Soundsuits, which not only mask the identity of the wearer, but also insulate the one inside from the harsh reality of the outer world.

This suit (same as above) is my favorite!
It has both the unicorn for me
and Superman for my friend Sam Johnson,
always on my mind at this time of year.
One of my favorite parts of the exhibit?
I didn't have to keep my hands in my pockets!
Touching was actually encouraged!
My other favorite thing about the art displayed?
Photo-taking was encouraged!
That meant my camera didn't have to stay in my pocket, either!
(smile!)
Thank you, Nick Cave!

Soon enough, it was time for the concert, so back to the civic center I went.
What a fabulous concert!
What an unruly, hard-drinking crowd!
One guy even got thrown out for lighting an e-cigarette.
Perhaps I'll forego any future volunteer positions at that venue...
but I am grateful to have seen both The Avett Brothers and Jason Isbell.
I had heard very good reviews of their music from past years.
My thanks for the opportunity this year!

i thank You, God!

No comments: